Residential install advice needed please

Guest scott.chauncey

Guest scott.chauncey

I've read enough here to convince me I would be best served avoiding a diy film as this is my primary residence and we are probably going to be in this house for a while. I'm primarily interested in heat reduction with secondary concerns in glare reduction, fade control and aesthetics. My house faces east (worst possible orientation) with most of the windows being in the front (east) and back (west). All windows are double paned. My questions are...

1. What type of film should I be looking at?

2. Should I film all windows, east/west windows or primarily concentrate on the west windows?

3. How do I find a quality installer in my area?

4. Just how good are these professional films? ie what percentage of reduction in energy bills can I expect to see?

and finally, the big one...

5. How much should I expect to pay? How is it generally quoted? by the square foot or number of windows?

My wife has convinced me to spend about 700 dollars exchanging the glass inserts on our french doors for ones that have the blinds built in between the panes. Would I have been better off filming this glass?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Guest RCOOTE

Go for a DUAL REFLECTIVE FILM like LLUMAR DR or a SUNSCAPE SELECT film. Very reasonable, not the cheapest, not the most expensive. If you want the best of the best, got with a CERAMIC LINE or SELECTIVE LINE. HUPER, VISTA, VKOOL

No need to film northern exposure unless you want it for aesthetics or hurricane or safety

This board is a good start to find installers in your area

Prices range a lot, get 3 quotes in your area and you will see how much your area is worth.

Generally quoted by square foot, plus equipment and ease or difficulty of install. Ladders, scaffolds, etc.

1. What type of film should I be looking at?

Depends on what you want your windows to look like when the project is completed. You have the traditional metal films, ceramic, and also silver based.

2. Should I film all windows, east/west windows or primarily concentrate on the west windows?

West during the summer is the worst in solar heat gain. If budget allows, I would recommend east and west.

3. How do I find a quality installer in my area?

www.iwfa.com has a list of members you can search. They also have a list of accredited installers. Request a list of addresses to view homes they completed. Also request to talk to a couple of their customers in the area as well.

4. Just how good are these professional films? ie what percentage of reduction in energy bills can I expect to see?

Very good, I have homes that I installed over 20 years ago and they are still performing. Depending on the film chosen, you could reduce the heat load of your A/C system by as much as 20% when film is applied to the three sides of the house. East, west and south

5. How much should I expect to pay? How is it generally quoted? by the square foot or number of windows?

Depends on your area, different areas different prices. Also it depends on the film line chosen. Typicaly pricing is based on square foot

Guest scott.chauncey
spend the money to switch out those french doors because if they are true tdl's, you would be looking around 3-400+ just to tint them

tdl's? They are double pane solid sheet windows....was planning on replacing the inserts on those with the ones that have the blinds in between the panes of glass...will probably hold off tinting them for the time being as the blinds will be closed to the afternoon sun.

Living in the Mississippi Gulf Coast region you might want to consider getting a film which besides blocking heat/glare/ fading is also a safety/security film to give you some hurricane protection.

Where can I read up on this type of film...which types would be best for what I'm looking to do?

Thanks again for all the input folks.

Guest darkdan

Silver 20 or Bronze 20.

75%~80% heat rejection. Awesome fade protection. Affordable. No oil slick look under CFL bulbs. Comes in safety and security flavors.

Archived