Calculating percentage of 2 layers of film?

Guest pimpedout97x

Guest pimpedout97x

Is there a way to calculate this? for instance, if a window had 2 layers of tint, 15% and 35%, what would that be similiar to had it been 1 layer of darker film, vs 2 lighter films?

both films are the same exact brand from the same shop (Llumar)

Guest Mo Evo
Is there a way to calculate this? for instance, if a window had 2 layers of tint, 15% and 35%, what would that be similiar to had it been 1 layer of darker film, vs 2 lighter films?

both films are the same exact brand from the same shop (Llumar)

I've been wondering myself, how to do this. My Evo has 2 layers of 55% on the front roll ups and it's not even as dark as 35%.

Guest tiger_football

If I am not mistaken, you just multiply the VLT% of each film. For example, 15% and 35%; 0.15x0.35=0.05 (5%) then factor in the glass. Being in CA, a tint meter is useless (for autos) so I don't have one therefore I cannot empirically confirm this.

Guest Crackz

if 15% of the light is coming through the first layer and the second is 35% 15 will be your whole now your only going to let 35% of the light in from the 15% do the math and then thats your total :evilgrin it is 11.75 %

Edited by Crackz

Guest hometheaterman

Maybe he is trying to do double 5% or something like that. I've actually thought about doing that on a back glass of my truck but decided against it. 5% is hard enough to see out of.

Guest tiger_football
if 15% of the light is coming through the first layer and the second is 35% 15 will be your whole now your only going to let 35% of the light in from the 15% do the math and then thats your total :evilgrin it is 11.75 %

How did you get 11.75% with 15% and 35%?

Guest Ace123

This is easy.

most windows fall near a 80% VLT range stock.

so lets say I put on..... a 50%, and then that wasnt dark enough for the back of the station wagon, so I put on a layer of 35%.

Whats 50% of 80%..... falls at 40% range

Now whats 35% of 40% ..... 40 x .35 comes down to a 12.5 VLT

Now while this isnt exact, it sure gives you a good idear.