Moving into a dealership??? Good Idea, Bad Idea!

One concern I see, is if the Dealer quits paying rent and gets booted by the landlord, would you be locked out of access to your work location ?

Will they be looking for you to do their cars first at a bargain basement price as part of the deal of locating there ?

I think I would pass, as moving the location could cost you business in itself.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One concern I see, is if the Dealer quits paying rent and gets booted by the landlord, would you be locked out of access to your work location ?

Will they be looking for you to do their cars first at a bargain basement price as part of the deal of locating there ?

I think I would pass, as moving the location could cost you business in itself.

A good thought. IF the dealer leaves, you are a sub-leasee and not eligible for any protection under the lease. Be very cautious.

Guest lordofthetints
Probably a great idea just never trust a car salesman. Protect yourself with concerns in writing, signed and notarized.

Stan

wise words.

Guest CajunTinter
My main issue would be the fear of them seeing how well you are doing, waiting till your lease it up and booting you then setting up their own deal. Then they feast off what you have established at that location.

Used car guys are considered the vermin of the earth for a reason, they look out for #1 and no one else.

:eyebrows:tantrum:beer

If that 1 dealership can support you do it.... otherwise.. PASS!

There is no way in hell other dealers will send their business to a competitor (other dealership)..... So you will more than likely kiss your other dealer business goodbye.... and retail... Who has the perception they are getting a competitive deal @ a dealership ???

I would pass.... :tantrum

Does anyone else think this? The dealerships we do business with really like us, I mean really. We are the only ones who will do their signage, mostly because other sign shops won't put up with dealers attitude or payment schedule...That is a good point though,TTS, I hadn't thought of that...the other dealerships are new cars sales, and where we will be renting is used, will that make a difference?????? The frontage on this place kicks ass....trying not to get too excited about it....

Dood, the car guys all get along with one another, I wouldn't worry about that.

No matter how much sh!t I talk about car salesmen, I know a ton of them and call them friends and family.... herl, my father-in-law was in the car biz for 38 or so yrs.

Every salesmen/person, I know has worked for at least 1/3 of the dealers in town....

I say it's a good move, cause you can sell to their customers as well as the dealers in the area.........

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...

Really !?! ..... So you would refer business your competition !?!

I'm not saying salesmen don't get along and get around.... but there's NO WAY IN HELL a dealers is going to tell a customer 'if you want it done right go to this other dealer'....

let's think this through.....

I'm out....

Really !?! ..... So you would refer business your competition !?!

I'm not saying salesmen don't get along and get around.... but there's NO WAY IN HELL a dealers is going to tell a customer 'if you want it done right go to this other dealer'....

let's think this through.....

I'm out....

It has absolutely nothing to do with referring anyone to the competition.

They will just be located on the same property as a dealership. Big deal..

I know of plenty of people that do biz that way, herl, I did business that way for over 6 years before we bought this land and even then we sold cars too, up until last year.

Ask anyone that knows me, every dealer in town sends me work, I may not get all the tint or the upholstery or even the service work, but at one time or another their vehicles end up on my lot for something... :mad

Everyone helping everyone else is the way we do things around here, maybe not in your neck of the woods, but here, we all get along and bounce work to and from one another, sales, service, tint, signs, upholstery, everything....

Before doing anything, check and make sure subleasing is allowed in his lease.

You and him could get da boot.

How long does his lease have remaining on it ?

This could be a concern if his rent gets jacked and he decides not to renew.

Archived