UV Protection on Older Auto Films

Guest MomOfUVSensitive

Guest MomOfUVSensitive

My 3 yr old was just diagnosed with a rare autoimmune disorder that makes it necessary to minimize her UV exposure.

We already have after-market window tint film on our 2001 Honda Civic, but we bought this car used and we have no idea what quality this window film is. It is not very dark, and a little yellow-ish in appearance. Our tinter is saying that the tint is showing some signs of aging (blurriness in rear window...which I have never noticed).

Seems like it is now industry standard for all auto film to offer 99% UV protection.

Any idea whether it was industry standard back in 2001 for auto films to offer 99% UV protection? Does this UV protection wear out over time?

We just tinted our whole house and another vehicle, so if we can avoid doing this car, it would be great, but of course, my daughter's health come first. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Also, is $100 to remove the old film (on a 4 door Civic) a good price?

Guest darkdan

UV protection does fade after a while. Depending on the quality of the film it may not be giving 99% UV protection anymore.

Yes, that seems more than a fair price for removal.

I would recommend a brand that uses weatherable polyester (contains UV absorbers in the both the glue and in the film itself). There are several out there including LLumar, Geoshield, Huper Optik, Global, and maybe a few others (I know Madico's flat glass films do, but not sure about auto).

Where are you at? Perhaps someone on the board is near you and would like to help.

I once contacted Xeroderma Pigmentosa Society to volunteer my services to help anyone in my area (I emailed twice, never heard back). Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Saint, I thought it would be good marketing.

Guest willie
Thanks for your response.

I was going to put in Formula One Ultimate. Is that a good one?

We are in Austin, TX.

Find tinitman here on this board. He just does flat but should have someone he highly reccomends in that area.

Good luck and I hope your daughter gets better :mad

If you would like me to contact some of my Texas film suppliers and get you a good reccomendation, I would be glad to

Guest darkdan
I was going to put in Formula One Ultimate. Is that a good one?

FormulaONE Ultimate has high heat rejection and is made with weatherable polyester. It would be an excellent choice for UV protection.

Archived