Newbie attempting rear window on 07 Camry..

Guest americanmusclecarhardware

I tinted a few cars back in the 80's but I always used two piece rear windows, so to shrinking Im a newb. My wife bought an 07 Camry and in need of tint, so I decided to try my hand at shrinking. I picked up some 20%. All the doors came out great but that rear window kicked my A** ! Im doing the dry soap method. After applying a decent amount of soap film I used an H patter for anchors. I trimmed down the excess and left about a 2 inch border all around. On the sides is where im having the most problems. I cannot get the fingers out it seams as if the papers just stops shrinking. I heard that the sides are not heat shrinked is this true ? only the bottom and top. I tried working the fingers out to the sides slowly working the gun back and fourth, but eventually it doesn't shrink anymore and If I keep hitting eventually creases and its trash. The top and bottom comes out fine. Whatever help you guys can provide will be appreciated.

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

Guest scottydosnntkno

window film does not shrink side to side like what your having issues with. If you used the H with the soap method, there should be nothing on the sides to shrink. Pull the center of the film tight and smooth down the middle line, then go top to bottom on the sides so all your shrink is on top and bottom. Both sides should be laying perfectly flat, and you should constantly push the film up and down if it wants to move to the sides.

Guest scottydosnntkno

also, did you clean the window on the outside first? the film looks extremely bumpy like it has a lot of dust/dirt under it. Make sure it is completely clean before you put the soap on.

Ok.. now its making more sense. So all the shrinking is done along the top and bottom. Basically blade and Clean completely, dry, lay film of soap, clean out anchors, lay paper pull the sides tight, Do I anchor the middle of the sides ? and make it so I only shrink along top and bottom.

I appreciate all your guidance.

Guest scottydosnntkno
It should lay on the glass like this when You do Your "H"..... :dunno

IMG00011-20090513-0947.jpg

:yawn if you look close, you can see how the sides are completely flat, and all the film is on the top and bottom.

as for anchoring the middle, its up to you. sometimes I do, sometimes I don't it depends on the car.

Das,

Thanx for your pictures. Good looking truck t=do you visit Towers in Lauderdale? Im feeling a sense of urgency , looking forward to this weekend when Im going make another stab at it.

I appreciate all of your comments. If you have any other tips send them my way.

Guest scottydosnntkno
Das,

Thanx for your pictures. Good looking truck t=do you visit Towers in Lauderdale? Im feeling a sense of urgency , looking forward to this weekend when Im going make another stab at it.

I appreciate all of your comments. If you have any other tips send them my way.

don't rush the dry shrink. if the corners start to give you problems, move somewhere else and let it cool down. just take your time

Archived