new dodge durango

Guest DarkerImages

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest thetintshop
they are, but don't they do it baackwards?? I couldnt get used to it, lynx get's XX percentage off nags, when you buy you get a percentage off nags, if you're lucky you can charge a cust. list price :rollin

they have 'list' prices for all pieces of glass, then everyone pays a percentage off it's the weirdest thing, backwards markup, not like you can buy a CD for 3 bucks and sell it in your store for 20 no, it's asswards....OH WELL :shock

lynx, and most other insurance pays about 50%-55% of NAGS list. most cash jobs I charge 35%-40% of NAGS list (60% off), depending on the glass. then we pay a % of NAGS for the glass when we buy it. yeah it's real weird how it works. what sucks is when the insurance changes their rates, but my rate for purchasing it stays the same.

then NAGS comes out with a new calculator every three months with new prices. so you can never keep a price of a glass in your head. you have to go look it up every single time.

Guest DarkerImages

yes you can tell it is tempered the top of the glass is flat not rounded and when you roll the window down look at that edge you can see the two peices of glass and the plastic in the center. I called the dodge place and they told me it was not tempered but only 20% thicker. :passout I think not They will sell it to you with a smile but just ask a question and :passout

Guest metint
A layer of film sandwiched between 2 panes of glass...Like a windshield.  Volvo wagons have them.

Laminated glass is two layers of glass with polyvinyl butyral (PVB) as the laminant.

Use extreme care around this glass if and when using a heat gun, overheating can cause it to break. Also watch out when using gasket wizards, the metal wedged against the glass edge behind the door panel can also snap the glass.

Quote from Sprinter:

why would they go and do that!

It is done for safety, for sound proofing and in many cases lami provides better structural strength while being thinner and weighing less than a single layer construction. :passout

Guest thetintshop
It is done for safety, for sound proofing and in many cases lami provides better structural strength while being thinner and weighing less than a single layer construction. :passout

yeah, well, it's a crock of sh!t if you ask me. why the hell would I want laminated glass 5 inches from my face? if tempered breaks (and I don't have tinted windows) all I get it is little cuts here and there and maybe some glass in my eye. if that laminated breaks, it could slash the entire side of my face off, stab me in the brain, who knows what else. I can think of 10 reasons for not having it for every one reason for having it. stupidest sh!t I've ever seen done.

plus, it costs WAY more. which means insurance rates go up. OR they lower the rates on us, glass shops, so we make less money. either way, just another stupid thing car manufacturers do to make more money off the consumer.

Guest metint
yeah, well, it's a crock of sh!t if you ask me. why the hell would I want laminated glass 5 inches from my face? if tempered breaks (and I don't have tinted windows) all I get it is little cuts here and there and maybe some glass in my eye. if that laminated breaks, it could slash the entire side of my face off, stab me in the brain, who knows what else. I can think of 10 reasons for not having it for every one reason for having it. stupidest sh!t I've ever seen done.

plus, it costs WAY more. which means insurance rates go up. OR they lower the rates on us, glass shops, so we make less money. either way, just another stupid thing car manufacturers do to make more money off the consumer.

Actually lami holds the glass fragments together because of the PVB... same as windshields.

I am cuious though... back in 96 when my mother smacked into the back of an industrial size dump truck at 45mph how far do thou think her body would have flown after the glass breaking into millions of non-lethal beads, if the windshield was tempered?

If it were plate glass, how many pieces do you think we would have scraped up off the road?

Or as it happened... she left an imprint of her face in the laminated glass of the winshield and died moments later from blunt force trauma with no blood involved!

Lami is used for the reasons stated before and it is the wave of the future.

Guest pmuzik

don't know squat about tinting them :uh but they must be selling though, we passed a convoy of 6 or 7 of em headed north on the garden state parkway yesterday. 6 or 7 truckloads that is

Guest thetintshop
Actually lami holds the glass fragments together because of the PVB... same as windshields.

I am cuious though... back in 96 when my mother smacked into the back of an industrial size dump truck at 45mph how far do thou think her body would have flown after the glass breaking into millions of non-lethal beads, if the windshield was tempered?

If it were plate glass, how many pieces do you think we would have scraped up off the road?

Or as it happened... she left an imprint of her face in the laminated glass of the winshield and died moments later from blunt force trauma with no blood involved!

Lami is used for the reasons stated before and it is the wave of the future.

laminated serves a purpose for windshields. I understand that. one little rock that makes a small rock chip in laminated would completely shatter tempered. the windshield is also 2-3 feet from my face and body. this isn't my arguement.

my arguement is there's no need for a side glass to be laminated. I replace laminated and tempered glass every day. the worst cuts I've ever recieved from tempered is small, paper like cuts. I've damn near sliced off a hand and several fingers while removing laminated. laminated glass is not something I want 5 inches from my face if I have a parking lot fender bender and the glass breaks and my head hits the glass.

laminated glass on the windshield is not designed to keep people from being thrown, it's designed to keep small rocks from coming through the glass and smacking you between the eyes. :drunk

there is no need for laminated on side glasses. period. no matter what car manufacturers tell you.

they also do it for sound proofing to help make the car quieter, but IMO if you want the car quieter BUILD IT THAT WAY you can't tell me that putting laminated side windows on a piece of junk as an after thought (huh, still noisy, let's make the side windows laminated) ahhh thats better. and the windshield serves one more purpose, helps keep the structural integrity of the front of the vehicle and roof in the event of a rollover :spit

Archived