SR coating vs dog slobber

Guest vclimber
I find this thread to be absolutely fascinating.

I have a friend who is a veterinarian and as a result of this thread, I plan on asking her everything she knows about the saliva ph of a healthy canine. I do know that it is slightly higher than 7.0, but one would think it would have to be substantially more acidic (or alkaline) to damage the hardcoat!

If we were to test the pH of the tap water from all of our customers, I would imagine we would get readings well outside of what normal dog saliva would be. In my own home, the pH of the tap water is 6.2, necessitating our installing a water neutralizer to prevent damage to the pipes and plumbing fixtures. Many of my neighbors do not have neutralizers. What if one of them hired an installer to tint their home and he filled his sprayer from their kitchen tap?

If dog slobber can damage the hard coat, what impact does acidic or alkaline tap water have on the adhesive? Should we be testing our water? If out of spec, should we be using distilled? What is the impact of the dish soap & shampoo on the application solution pH?

I had the privilege of chatting with several technical staff members from CP throughout the years and they have long suspected that acidic or alkaline water plays a role in long term adhesive breakdown. A recall them saying "Water is wierd". They're a pretty smart bunch over there. I bet they were on to something.

If I learn anything more - I will post it.

Happy Thanksgiving to All,

Howard

Water can have pretty high PH and dog slobber can have real high PH to break down all of the cr@p they lick up... so if the SR coat is PH sensitive then there will be problems. Human saliva is acidic as well, you should try and lick a piece of film and see what happens. :dunno

I tried to get my dog to lick the slider door but he knew something was up and wouldn't have anything to do with the experiment. Smart lil b@stard! :shoot1

Presitge will have some serious issues because as 4V4 said the SR coat is thin to begin with but it also has the color in that layer so the dog spit will literally take the color right off of the film! Its been a little un-spoken factoid in the 3M circle for a few years now. I'm surprise one of the world's greatest companies with some of the worlds best R&D scientists didn't see this one coming and create a better SR coating. :rollin

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find this thread to be absolutely fascinating.

I have a friend who is a veterinarian and as a result of this thread, I plan on asking her everything she knows about the saliva ph of a healthy canine. I do know that it is slightly higher than 7.0, but one would think it would have to be substantially more acidic (or alkaline) to damage the hardcoat!

If we were to test the pH of the tap water from all of our customers, I would imagine we would get readings well outside of what normal dog saliva would be. In my own home, the pH of the tap water is 6.2, necessitating our installing a water neutralizer to prevent damage to the pipes and plumbing fixtures. Many of my neighbors do not have neutralizers. What if one of them hired an installer to tint their home and he filled his sprayer from their kitchen tap?

If dog slobber can damage the hard coat, what impact does acidic or alkaline tap water have on the adhesive? Should we be testing our water? If out of spec, should we be using distilled? What is the impact of the dish soap & shampoo on the application solution pH?

I had the privilege of chatting with several technical staff members from CP throughout the years and they have long suspected that acidic or alkaline water plays a role in long term adhesive breakdown. A recall them saying "Water is wierd". They're a pretty smart bunch over there. I bet they were on to something.

If I learn anything more - I will post it.

Happy Thanksgiving to All,

Howard

too much crap to worry about :twocents

That is alot to worry about. But I definitely do recommend using distilled water. Put a good water filter on the water source in your shop or if mobile buy it buy the gallons for a buck or two.

Archived