Defroster damage on removal twice in a month, wtf!

So I've been doing this a while and never seen or even heard of this happening. We did a 05 Charger a month ago, tinter creased the back window a little and he came back wanting it replaced, no problem. Steamed off the back window and when he got down to the bottom, the last 2 defroster lines came off with the tint. The film was only on for about a week, it was SolarGard Supreme I think. So we had to replace the back window. Then this week we did a 09 E Class with 3M CS. Same thing, there was a tiny hair or something in the back window, guy bitched we redid it. This time we started to steam in the top corner and slowly peeled back. The first line started to come off. WTF! So we let it steam up for 30 minutes or so and peeled very slowly using the steamer on the film. for the most part it came off ok but there are like 5 small spots scattered where the lines came off. The best I can come up with is they are both Daimler windows, maybe something is wrong with them? Either way, I have to fix this Mercedes. I would rather try and repair the lines since there are only a few small like half inch strips damaged.

Has this happened to anyone before? Any suggestions for a repair solution? I'd like to try and save this one instead of another $600 window.

Guest Darknesswithin

holyshit.gif

what film are you using? seems like it has strong adhesive, never had that problem unless it was a very old car or a honda

First car was Solargard Supreme, second was 3M CS. I have asked everyone I know in the business and no one has had this happen lol. Even the guy who put the new glass in the Charger said he never heard of it and he has been replacing back windows every day for 18 years. He looked at me like I was Frankenstein when I told him.

I may try one of those repair kits. I think my main worry is if the orange color will match

I`ve had a few KIA`s do this, but never a DC vehicle. I always tell ppl up front that there is the possibility of this happening. If I`m doing an R&R, I have the custy sign a waiver to cover my rear end, but on a warranty R&R, your kinda at the custy`s mercy.

The chrysler defrost repair kits are about the best I`ve found. The local dealer here keeps them in stock, but it may be hard to tint over them since they tend to be kinda thick once they dry.

Thanks SWT. At least if it is a Chrysler kit, it might match in color. We also make people sign the invoice that states the defroster may be damaged when removing film on a R&R but yeah on a warranty job we are kinda screwed.

I removed 3m cs off a mazda 6 one time and it pulled all the defrosters off, I tried steaming it and not steaming it but they all stuck to the film all the way across..But the film left no adhesive on the glass :cool:rest Best to make sure you're install looks good on the backglass to try and avoid this or tell them that crease is an acceptable flaw like my competitor does :cool

Guest Darknesswithin
I removed 3m cs off a mazda 6 one time and it pulled all the defrosters off, I tried steaming it and not steaming it but they all stuck to the film all the way across..But the film left no adhesive on the glass :thumb:popcorn Best to make sure you're install looks good on the backglass to try and avoid this or tell them that crease is an acceptable flaw like my competitor does :popcorn

:popcorn

true that

Guest scottydosnntkno

I too make them sign the receipt beforehand that states there is no guarantee that the defroster will work after removal, but we take every precaution possible including using a steamer to prevent any damage.

If it comes off, thats what they have glass coverage for.

Archived