Vinyl Install Tools & Tips

Guest OMG35S

Guest OMG35S

I want to apply some oracle vinyl tint to my infiniti tail lights.

It is said to be a hard install due to the curves of the tail lights.

What would be the best tools and application for this job?

Hard card

Felt edge bondo

Olfa knife

Yellow Turbo

Water + Baby shampoo/dish washing soap

Thanks in advanced!

Guest thatsnappyguy

get some foaming glass cleaner, spray and clean the lights. stray some more on the lights and use that as the slip agent..its works great. I actually use that for installing decals on windows. use a yellow turbo. I never used that particular vinyl, but I know thats its alot thinner than what im used to " lamin-x." have the heat gun on hande for the parts that dont lay down by themselves. put the gun on low heat and not too close.

Guest OMG35S

2007 Infiniti G35 Sport 6mt Sedan...

Yeah I believe it stretches and pulls a little. They are Blue Bat's pre-cut overlays.

I'm not a pro, would a hair dryer be sufficient or should I spend $20 on a cheap heat gun?

Thanks for the tips.. Keep them coming.. I won't purchase anything for another day or so.

44tools is what someone recommended me and it seems as though they have some good products.

Guest OMG35S

List of what I'll be purchasing...

NT PRO A-1P Knife

3 1/2" Yellow Turbo

4" Lidco Felt Edge Bondo

4" Black Teflon Card

13oz Plexus Polish

Wagner $25 Heat gun

Is that too many Cards? I just don't know which one to choose...

Guest OMG35S
get some foaming glass cleaner, spray and clean the lights. stray some more on the lights and use that as the slip agent..its works great. I actually use that for installing decals on windows. use a yellow turbo. I never used that particular vinyl, but I know thats its alot thinner than what im used to " lamin-x." have the heat gun on hande for the parts that dont lay down by themselves. put the gun on low heat and not too close.

The person who I bought the vinyl from suggests installing the overlays with warm water and a tab of dish-washing soap. Do you think foaming glass cleaner will work better? I have 3M glass cleaner and Stoners Inv Glass Cleaner...

I'm trying to follow this approach but with better tools and application. (Heat Gun/Turbo Squeege/etc.)

Members have stated that they spent nearly 6 hours applying this film while others spent 1 hour.

Any suggestions or tips will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

okay i'v only been doing taillights for a couple months steady. i started using pre cuts but then realized i can buy it by the role and also it works great to cut over sized piece and use heat gun and stretch it around. then trim when done to the edge. never spent more than an hour on any set this way. pre cuts need to be more careful lol. good luck. your tool list is fine. i use felt squeegee, hard card wrapped in felt and that's it. oh heat gun of course. :embar:nono oh yeah and the same soapy water i use to tint. and a 50/50 alcohol water mix for the edges to make them stick at the end.

Guest Darknesswithin

here's a couple of videos,,

I use baby shampoo, same mixture as if I was tinting windows,, I Never use foaming glass cleaner :thumb ,,,

I use a micro fiber cloth around my hard card or just a new hard card,, if it's old it could and will scratch the vinyl,,

Dont even bother with pre-cuts, get a roll of vinyl, if your using oracal, then you better make sure its at least a 751 series or you are gonna be in for a hell of a time trying to stretch it, the best thing to use I found is the translucant 8500 series vinyl, it gives you the look your wanting and lets the light still show at night. All you need is alcohol to clean the tailights, j&j baby shampoo, heat gun, exacto blade or olfa blade whichever you prefer, squeege and some patience. Ive been doing this crap for the past 13 years, best thing ive found is spray the tailight, spray the vinyl, lay it on, squeege down which ever side is the the smoothest, then make sure your hands are dry, flat hand stretching it to the other corner, squeege again, then heat the rest while continuing to stretch the vinyl, always, always, always roll the vunyl around the edges of the tailight as far as you can or you find yourself having some what i call "bottle capping", little tiny fingers that will not come out without a crease in the vinyl.

Remember: PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE!

Archived