Strange Customer

I had a guy come in about 3 times in less than a month. Always asking a quote for the same car. He would continue to say another shop will do it for less, will you match it ? My response everytime was , NO. Part of this was because I know the other shop, I know they use junk film, and I know their film wont last 1 single summer. So they tinted his cobalt, and told him that they could not tint the matrix, because the film wont stick to it !!! Then , they tell him to go to another shop that has black vinyl, and have them put the black vinyl on it !!! I just called the guy out. I said , the pro shop you went to did not have black vinyl ? So they sent you here ? Then I walked through all the options from vinyl to paint , to glue stick, gave him a really high price ( probably more than he paid at the "pro" shop) and walked away. :dunno

The pattern software we use is starting to have lots of back glass options. Guess vinyl is getting popular. Had a custy not like his matrix. I'm not sure about the glue method for film longevity.

I agree with you on the glue stick thing, I question it too. but I know the shop uses some really poor quality film, and it wont stick at all. I like the vinyl, but to do it the way I like too for it to look right, I would have to strip the film and re tint it. I like to splice the film and vinyl together so it looks uniform. This brings up another problem others have mentioned, and thats the contraction of the vinyl itself. I have done this for 5 or 6 years now, with no problems whatsoever. I use oracal 951, which is a 9-12 year outdoor durability vinyl. I really just put the price through the roof on this guy because I had already spent 1 hour over his 3 visits telling him why he should choose us. Ohh, and he made an appointment and did not show up. Should have called him out on that .

Had a guy call me 3 days in a row last week for a price quote on same vehicle. Every day, same damn price. Finally he decides to schedule. I normally call the day before to confirm the time, but I lost track and called him early the day of. He said he had to cancel because someone else in town was going to do it cheaper. Well the other person is a really good friend of mine that I work alot of projects with. Only two of us tint in our town, So i knew he got the job, no biggie, glad he got it, the customer bought their own black maxx "film" for him to install. I would of turned him away if he brought it to me.

Archived