Test Cuts

Guest DarksideAutoSolutions

As you guys may have read in my previous posts...I just got my new jaguar IV and was getting familiar with it through great cut until I can get Precision cut working but here are my very first cuts ever. I got a little bit of practicing but it will come with time. Until then... :lol

DSCN0176.jpg

looks like you are getting it down. Just wait until some fisherman come's in and want a sticker of a fish. Last one I had to weat was a crappie for a guy's BG. Dam thing took me over an hour just to weat out. My eyes hurt when I finished.

Cutting film is alittle different. I haven't used a plotter for film in years, but the only trouble I had was when switching film's you had to know were to set the cutter. Other then that the plotter was the only way a few guys I worked with would have ever made it tinting window's. :lol

Lol, ya I cut some film first...Talk about a learning experience when you have no clue what your doing. But Ive been showing a guy what I know as far as tinting goes and I don't think I'll let him use the plotter until he gets some practice hand cutting. Can't make him to lazy so soon.

I'm not trying to be a smart azz I promise, but the only shop I worked at that used plotter cut. I quitusing it because it slowed me down.

I think alot of it was the plotter the shop owner bought was a POS. And when you try switching film's ever other car. It does not help either. switching from film to vynil is just as big of a PITA too.

If I ever invest in a plotter it will be for vynil any film art only.

ours is mainly for vinyl and graphics but there is 5 preset settings in the jaguar that were set from llumar for a few different films and then vinyls, I can change them to whatever I need them for different films...I can still see where it would be a pain in the ass and could possibly slow us down. Its all experimental at this stage so maybe I will just end up using it for vinyl but we will have to see. Either way i think it was a great investment even if it ends up only getting used for vinyl...not only will we be able to do graphics and vinyl work for customers, but we can make all of our own signs and it will save us alot of money on advertising. Like i said its all experimental at this point but I hope it all works out. I do appreciate the input though and i will keep it in mind to watch out for.

it will for sure be well worth the money.

I would love to have one myself, and maybe this winter I will look into getting one for film art purposes amd vinyl. My trouble would be that I suk with computer's.

The shops I think do the best with plotter have a full time man on the PC and plotter. The nice thing about the film software is that it is just click and cut. not much to desgin.

I have played with flexi sign very little and never understood alot of what you can do with the program's. Were pepole who used it alot could make crasy chit with viynl and film.

Ya, I'm not too familiar with the programs and all, I know there is endless possibilities if you know what you are doing. Its just going to take some time to get familiar with it. As far as buying one, this jaguar seems to be a GREAT deal for the money, I'm pretty certain I picked the right one that will last a long time, lay out quality work, and pretty much do what I need it to do when I need it to do it.

yeah the first run I had with a plotter was back in 2001 when tinttech first came out. My boss promised it would be way faster. I only ended up using the plotter for a few months, and it seemed to slow me down, not to mention the we all had to take a 5% cut on our commision to comp paying for the plotter as well. This too left a bad taste in my mouth for using it.

We did have a race one day. With 2 of the same model altima's. Boss dropped the flag, and after I had finished the guy using the plotter only had the bg and 2 door's done.

lol, well i wouldn't be too happy about a pay cut either so I can see where your coming from there. Pretty funny I hear alot of people saying how much time it saves you if you use it for tint and you actually were able to test it to see.

well Yeah kinda.

The way a plotter is faster is if you have the volume to use the plotter to your advantadge. I live in a msaller town. With only so much tint work out there.

Now if I had the demand to turn out 5 to 10 cars aday like larger shop's. I would probably justify having a full time plotter man and 2 tinter's.

Still only banging out 1 car at a time just much quicker. :lol

Archived