Car alarm and remote start

hey I have a few questions about alarms with remote start since I am tired of my car getting broke into. 1. What are some good brands? 2. Will remote start work with a manual tranny? 3. I drive a 92 eclipse GS, are most or even all alarms universal?

I'll probably think of some more questions so I'll keep updating.

Thanks Chris

I would venture to say that all alarms are universal. As far as a remote start on a standard, it is easy. There are four ways to do it. 1. Get an alarm/start designed for a standard. 2. Bypass the clutch switch so the car will start without pushing in the clutch. 3. Use a set of reed switches (the magnet with wire setup used in home alarms on the doors and windows) to allow the remote start to only work when the car is in neutral. 4. Get the actual piece of electronic gadgetry that works the same as #3, but is much more reliable. I have done all these methods. I started with #2 (VERY DANGEROUS) but that's another LOOOONG story. Then I did #3. It worked, but it was on a mustang I had, and sometimes when it started, the vibrations of the exhaust or just the torque of the engine starting would move the magnets out of alignment and it would die. There are several alarm/starts that are designed for standards, and they work in the same manner as #4. Both can be a pain in the butt to both install and operate (you have to put the vehicle into reservation mode every time you get out if you want it to remote start next time) but this "reservation mode" guarantees that the car will still be in neutral the next time you push the button.

there's one from ultrastart that goes into reservation mode automatically :lol6 as soon as you 'park' the car, with foot on brake and apply e-brake it engages. then it watches for the door to open and when it closes it turns off :evileye guarantees it's in neutral. if a door opens or the e brake is tampered with, it won't start...safety feature...and they're pretty much all universal.. they all do the same stuff. just some are more technically 'usable' than others. the model I'm speaking of from ultrastart is the TL-2250 M its their basic alarm/start combo, one remote for a manual. :lol6 any other questions?

ultrastart has a 2 way system as well, and also avail. for a manual trans. most of the major players have the 2 ways, few of them have a unit thats safe for a manual trans. :beer

Compustar and Astrostart have manual transmission capabilities, but most major brands have at least one 2-way piece, (like Zrok said). Keep in mind, you can put any remote on any standard with the NSS (neutral safety switch) piece from Peripheral.

be careful with remote start on a standard tranny. I wouldn't do it without a good neutrual safety device. I saw one start in gear in a shop 15 sec foward into the wall wrecked everything in its path. then a pause and start up again 15 sec of it scraping against the wall it was funny to see but someone could have easyly gotten very hurt. Just be careful

the neutral safety switch we are referring to is an electronic brain that allows a remote start to work on a standard transmission after following a procedure to insure the tranny is in neutral next time you start it. Is this what you are asking about?

Archived