wet shrink

baby powder and blow torch for back glass's wet staionary glass and snap roll ups. No danger to wet shrinking, just slow and more chance of creasing. for some of us here, the old empro price guide that gave the difficulty and number of pieces to do the rear window in was the norm. contoured film (shrinkable) was a major revolution in the industry. I still can wet shrink but consider it a waste of time. there are no fingers in glass, only film. the concept is to form the film evenly to the curve of the window. wet shrinking heats fingers in the film, dry shrinking heats pouches. i have tried all the different methods and IMO baby powder is the fastest and most accurate. dryer sheets and soap stick the film to the window, baby powder will not. I use a blow torch and glove for intial forming. horizontal wet line and window cut to fit. extra film especially on the sides is just more work. I then heatgun and hard card, what i refer to as a double dry to touch up any thing i might have missed with the torch. ket to this is moving fast. film only stays on the window for a few seconds before it will start to lift. but if it lays down perfect with powder, no wet check will be needed. for roll ups i heat the top of the window. pull the film off the top of the glass and curl (snap) a touch. by curling the top and leaving the bottom edge virgin, no finger will pop up and no chance of peeling. there are 2 gaskets typically in the bottom. a finger can form that you cannot see if you shrink the bottom. old lincons rangers and some chargers have the first inner gasket above the outer and you can see the fingers you are missing. if you only shrink the top you can seal the upper edge with a heat gun beofre rolling it up. if the top is shrunk, the you will have to stretch the bottom a little. test for yourself, heat your finger on the top and try and lay the film, chances are you will have to heat it down a little when you lay it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Malcolm E Boo

baby powder and blow torch for back glass's wet staionary glass and snap roll ups. No danger to wet shrinking, just slow and more chance of creasing. for some of us here, the old empro price guide that gave the difficulty and number of pieces to do the rear window in was the norm. contoured film (shrinkable) was a major revolution in the industry. I still can wet shrink but consider it a waste of time. there are no fingers in glass, only film. the concept is to form the film evenly to the curve of the window. wet shrinking heats fingers in the film, dry shrinking heats pouches. i have tried all the different methods and IMO baby powder is the fastest and most accurate. dryer sheets and soap stick the film to the window, baby powder will not. I use a blow torch and glove for intial forming. horizontal wet line and window cut to fit. extra film especially on the sides is just more work. I then heatgun and hard card, what i refer to as a double dry to touch up any thing i might have missed with the torch. ket to this is moving fast. film only stays on the window for a few seconds before it will start to lift. but if it lays down perfect with powder, no wet check will be needed. for roll ups i heat the top of the window. pull the film off the top of the glass and curl (snap) a touch. by curling the top and leaving the bottom edge virgin, no finger will pop up and no chance of peeling. there are 2 gaskets typically in the bottom. a finger can form that you cannot see if you shrink the bottom. old lincons rangers and some chargers have the first inner gasket above the outer and you can see the fingers you are missing. if you only shrink the top you can seal the upper edge with a heat gun beofre rolling it up. if the top is shrunk, the you will have to stretch the bottom a little. test for yourself, heat your finger on the top and try and lay the film, chances are you will have to heat it down a little when you lay it.

Wow use some punctuation man.

Guest Malcolm E Boo

sorry. took my bifocal contacts out. and i am a 4 finger hunt and pecker when it comes to typing. thought i did, well couldnt see it if i did. obvioulsy i didnt LOL

The content is good. The layout with no paragraphs etc makes it difficult to read. :thumb

:lol2

Guest Malcolm E Boo

I have a hard time reading anymore period. much less typing. of course the 4 beers and 2 vicadin might also have an effect on it as well. Dinner of champions

Sounds my type of party

Wish it was for pleasure. couple bad discs, little spinal deterotion and athritis. so day starts with the normal vitimans, muscile relaxers and 4 advil. after work corona and narcotics for the pains of the day. yes i have perscriptions. sucks geting old. Maybe one day if I'm feeling froggy, I will figure out how to post vids here.

Ok, indented paragraphs, used commas and periods. Am I improving my grammar? I think i found the shift key to capitolize the the necessary words and letters. Persoanlly i think its a waste of a finger.

Archived