very cold install

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We Have had a few places "require" us to wear gloves.

Been there!

Last time we were on a lift so we were harder to see. We had a "code word" in case

the guy with the red hat came in the area. The gloves were on standby until he showed up.

We Have had a few places "require" us to wear gloves.

Been there!

Last time we were on a lift so we were harder to see. We had a "code word" in case

the guy with the red hat came in the area. The gloves were on standby until he showed up.

We did the same thing after a couple days on the job. :lol

Boomshockalocka was our code word.

What did you guys use?

I have to install 4mil security film on all the glass surfaces inside a seafood warehouse. It is 32-34 degrees at all times. I'm concerned that the moisture between the film and the glass will freeze or never evaporate. will the film even stick? I was thinking of using an alcohol in my slip solution. It has been done at other locations, from what I've been told. Anyone here familiar with this? Also, I need some gloves I can install with in the cold. It took ten minutes to warm up my hands after just measuring the job. Any recommendations?

What 4 mil window film are you using .......... ?

armorcoat 4mil. I also have enough 6mil ultra to do the job, if you think it might stick better. I'll eat the cost if it makes the job easier.

The armorcoat will dry before the 3M Ultra would in your install situation and either film will stick just fine, no need to add any alcohol to your slip, when you think you removed all of the water, just make one more pass.

Use tap water and a little more slip then you would normally use.

However, one thing to consider is when using any Safety or Security film in a situation such as 32 to 34 degrees, will the films perform as tested by the man ...... :nope .... That's another thread all in its own.

Thanks for the info, Mike. I was a little concerned about performance. The companies is trying to achieve some super industry certification, and part of that is to ensure that no glass fragment will enter the warehouse and processing areas from any broken glass surfaces. They have already put 4mil in one of their facilities in the Portland area.

I have done a few jobs like this one you are doing, did you have to take their safety course ............ ?

We had to wear gloves that they had provided because we were working with razor blades, I still have them and use them sometimes when I am doing film removals.

They didn't say anything about a safety couse. I'm putting a sample, or more like a test piece on Wednesday. So, I will know more then.

The very cold install ended up being a very easy install. A very hard second and third squeege seemed to do the trick. I used very little slip, and the cold wasn't a big issue. Gloves didn't work, but my hands never really got that cold. Went back yesterday, and the film seems to be drying normally. Another one of those jobs I lose sleep over, thinking about it, but ends up being easier than I expect.

Archived