Last one to post #298

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are such wusses here in Dallas!
The feeling is using salt will rust out the cars, so they just put  a layer of sand on the road, believing that will make a difference.

Salt once or twice a year is NOT going to turn a car into rust!
Stupid Wusses !!!

I was doing a search to see exactly what they use in this area when treating the roads... they use rock salt during the storm, and before (maybe during as well - not sure) they use a salt-brine solution that the put on the roads which is supposed to help. Honestly, I don't think it does... or at least in a very limited way. 

Anyway... I came up with an article from a couple months ago about what Milwaukee has tried... 

First, this winter they are testing a cheese brine solution, which is a liquid waste product left over from cheese making. One problem with it - it has a distinctive odor.   :blink

From 1999-2001 they tried a molasses-type product as a de-icer... which also smelled, but worse then that - people were tracking the stuff, which got stuck on the bottom of their shoes, into their homes.  :facepalm2

They also tried a beet-juice / salt mix, but that ended up turning into something resembling oatmeal in the trucks.  :lol

Crazy what they come up with..... 

I was doing a search to see exactly what they use in this area when treating the roads... they use rock salt during the storm, and before (maybe during as well - not sure) they use a salt-brine solution that the put on the roads which is supposed to help. Honestly, I don't think it does... or at least in a very limited way. 

Anyway... I came up with an article from a couple months ago about what Milwaukee has tried... 

First, this winter they are testing a cheese brine solution, which is a liquid waste product left over from cheese making. One problem with it - it has a distinctive odor.   :blink

From 1999-2001 they tried a molasses-type product as a de-icer... which also smelled, but worse then that - people were tracking the stuff, which got stuck on the bottom of their shoes, into their homes.  :facepalm2

They also tried a beet-juice / salt mix, but that ended up turning into something resembling oatmeal in the trucks.  :lol

Crazy what they come up with..... 

They need to find bacon flavoured salt

Archived