Adding 12v existing business

Every year winter hits and its the same thing. Barely struggling to pay the bills. I'm starting to get bored now 6 years in and want to change some things up. I let a friend use my shop for the last year and he is one of the top 12v guys in the country. I've always been a hobbyist, nothing I've owned has kept the stock audio if I kept it more than a year. I think I know a fair amount and watching him for the last year both in the office (he uses part of my lobby) and in my garage, I think I have picked up quite a bit more with regards to what it takes to be in the industry. I've spent quite a few months helping him fix installs from pretty much all of the shops in town and needless to say I am appalled at what these shops send out. Well, my friend is moving states and leaving a pretty big hole to fill for quality 12v work. I am pretty certain I am going to try and integrate it in with our glass and tint work. He's offered to help me get set up with his vendors and get me a head start in the business. I have most of the tools and will be getting a fair amount of supplies at a bargain. So, what am I in for? Am I making a mistake? Mostly I will be looking at basic audio stuff for now, head unit and speaker replacements, remote starts and alarms. I have some spare room that could eventually be made in to a fab shop that is separate from the tint area if I want to get in to some other things. Really I am just hoping I can get in to something that might be steady through the winter months.

Just keep in mind the flooring cost is a lot more than tint....   You are used to 1 roll fits all vehicles....  +12 is each individual car takes a different stinking part.. Lots of folks get eaten alive by trying to stock all of the parts :twocents

Just keep in mind the flooring cost is a lot more than tint....   You are used to 1 roll fits all vehicles....  +12 is each individual car takes a different stinking part.. Lots of folks get eaten alive by trying to stock all of the parts :twocents

My friend now goes through the install with the customer, takes a deposit and schedules the appt.  He then orders the parts and has them here in 2-3 days ready for the install appt.  It seems t work pretty well.  I doubt I will keep a bunch in stock other than some basic speaker sets, and things that can be shown to the customer to show differences in products.

Archived