truck bumpers

Ive been doing ppf and tint for 2 years now and work at a Kia dealership so the only real challenge Ive had was the Soul. Ive done a couple bumpers before, an Audi and a Silverado, but I just hit my biggest challenge yet....a Dodge ram full bumper and grill.

The contours, the stretching, trying to line up the fog light holes.....omg. Ive been swearing at it for the last 3 hours and finally finished but Im still not happy with it. My employer told me to use what I have (3M 24" roll) so Ive had to do the bumper in two pieces....trying to get the lines to match up is almost impossible, overstretch and the lines dont match :(

Any hint should I encounter one of these jobs again?

Perhaps I need to go for some advanced training lol

With time, just like anything else when learning a skill, you'll get better. I've been installing since 2005 and am still learning everyday.

I do recommend that if your serious about this industry and wanting your business to grow in a positive mannar to go to a training class. This will allow you to blow through film that is supplied as much as you can which will get you to progress faster. Plus if you start leaving a good impression with your customers right out of the gate then your growth starts off on a positive climb, and training will help get you going in that direction.

Learning the techniques like hand placement, hand pressure, squeegee tack points, proper stretch and alignment, etc...is very important.

Look at a good training center. I recommend XPEL. They have 2 classes; a basic, and a advanced course. Lunch I believe is still provided.

Film is important as well. Pick a film that gives you the best of all worlds:

Easy enough to stretch

Good memory properties

Great clarity

Stain resistance

Healing or rejuvenating capabilities

Good manufacturers warranty

Good adhesive that won't distort easily

Goto training. You'll save yourself a huge headache and stress in the long run and also cut down on film expenses by not having to possibly redo jobs over again. Plus this will give you a huge confidence booster.

Good luck !!!!!

~A

Archived