Wrapping edges

Need some advice from the leading PPF experts.

1. What is the min amount of material do you leave for edge wrapping? 

2. Do you wrap the the C7 bumper into the hood? Best method to do so due to the rubber seal on the inner bumper edge. 

3. When wrapping full doors how which do you wrap on the quarter panel side?

4. Do you flush out the edges before wrapping? 

5. When do you tell the client I am not wrapping that edge? 

When is the best time to use XPEL surface prep or equal? 

1. What is the min amount of material do you leave for edge wrapping?  5-10mm 

2. Do you wrap the the C7 bumper into the hood? Best method to do so due to the rubber seal on the inner bumper edge. Sorry, never done one

3. When wrapping full doors how which do you wrap on the quarter panel side? As Q1, where possible

4. Do you flush out the edges before wrapping? Always

5. When do you tell the client I am not wrapping that edge? When it is physically impossible due to shape of panel, the quality of the rear of the panel to be wrapped, proximity of adjacent panels etc

When is the best time to use XPEL surface prep or equal? Never felt the need to use it, just make sure the edges are well cleaned with neat iso first

Steve

1. What is the min amount of material do you leave for edge wrapping? at least .25" and this usually only applies to the C7 in my experience.

2. Do you wrap the the C7 bumper into the hood? Best method to do so due to the rubber seal on the inner bumper edge. Yes. use .25" here. I wash, clean with wax/tar remover, lay the bumper, flush with my alcohol mix bottle, move on to install another panel or 5, then come back and use the Xpel edge prep, then start the wrap from the center and move left or right. The trouble is the dip between the hood hinge and the fender. Sometimes need to use a heat gun before I stamp it done. 

3. When wrapping full doors how which do you wrap on the quarter panel side? same as everywhere else, but I use .5" wrap for the C7 doors. There are two body lines (one at the top and one near the bottom) that I "notch" out. I've done doors on 6 C7's without a single complaint. I just make them aware of the fingers and how it will collect dirt. 

4. Do you flush out the edges before wrapping? absolutely with my alcohol mix immediately after I lay that portion of the kit. The more time to dry the easier to wrap it

5. When do you tell the client I am not wrapping that edge? when it's inaccessible. I wrap everything unless major parts have to come out and the customer isn't willing to pay for them to be removed. 

When is the best time to use XPEL surface prep or equal? whenever the first attempt at wrapping the edge doesn't hold (after flushing it and allowing to air dry for 15+ min. I also carry a can of computer duster to blow the water out. 

Good luck! I hope this helps out. KO

All good advice although I want to clarify one thing. On question 4 you are asking about flushing out the edges. I am assuming you mean the edges of the panels where they come together. If so then that needs to be done prior to any film being applied. If not dirt will pull down under the film and you will have issues. Always lfush out the cracks and edges prior, then apply film, then let air dry before wrapping.

Archived