knifeless tape finish line vs design line

I'm not sure if I've bought the correct knifeless tape. I have the finish line tape, and after overlapping the vinyl, the cut shows, and is a little crooked. What is the difference between design line and finish line? Also, what do you guys use/do to make overlapping cuts?

I use both. I also use bridge line and tri line.

The difference between finish and design is finish line string is thicker. Design line give you a cleaner cut because the struggle is thinner and easier to make rounded corners.

If you are using thinner vinyl like 3M 1080, Avery Supreme wrapping film then DesignLine is your tape of choice - this is the same line that is in the TriLine which is used for making a butt seam (only using two of the lines but the tape is multi-purpose that way
).  Lines that are not straight tend to be operator error, but not always - It is important to pull the filament straight over top of the tape and not to the side.  Also, ensure that you are keeping the filament close to the surface you are cutting on - like a 30 degree angle or less.  There are videos on-line showing the proper technique of pulling the tape and making a butt seam.  It is important to lightly squeegie the Butt Seam post cut then follow it with a heat gun lightly with a squeegie again - the heat will cause the vinyl to pull back slightly and smooth out you butt seam.  If you try to force the vinyl down without heat, it will tend not to finish well.  If you are cutting through thick vinyl and laminated layers then Finish Line will have to be used... that said, a heat gun used to slightly soften the area you are cutting will allow DesignLine to cut thicker vinyl layers but I would test this before attempting.  A heat gun and extra care to push the vinyl flat onto the Finish Line and proper cutting technique should give you a very good cut on the thicker vinyl.  Still not sure???  Send an email or call the guys at Knifeless Tech - they will help you through it.

Archived