Columbia mission ends in disaster - Feb 1, 2003

On this day in 2003, the space shuttle Columbia breaks up while entering the atmosphere over Texas, killing all seven crew members on board. The Columbia‘s 28th space mission, designated STS-107, was originally scheduled to launch on January 11, 2001, but was delayed numerous times for a variety of reasons over nearly two years. Columbia finally launched on January 16, 2003, with a crew of seven. Eighty seconds into the launch, a piece of foam insulation broke off from the shuttle’s propellant tank and hit the edge of the shuttle’s left wing.

Hard to believe it's been so long since that happened. I don't remember if I was watching it live or saw it on the news... I remember in '86 when the Challenger exploded... but not sure about this one. 

Shuttles were grounded until July 2005 when Discovery was launched. 

On this day in 2003, the space shuttle Columbia breaks up while entering the atmosphere over Texas, killing all seven crew members on board. The Columbia‘s 28th space mission, designated STS-107, was originally scheduled to launch on January 11, 2001, but was delayed numerous times for a variety of reasons over nearly two years. Columbia finally launched on January 16, 2003, with a crew of seven. Eighty seconds into the launch, a piece of foam insulation broke off from the shuttle’s propellant tank and hit the edge of the shuttle’s left wing.

Hard to believe it's been so long since that happened. I don't remember if I was watching it live or saw it on the news... I remember in '86 when the Challenger exploded... but not sure about this one. 

Shuttles were grounded until July 2005 when Discovery was launched.

Interesting to see this post as I was just watching this and te challenger explosion a couple days ago. Learning about the people involved and watching videos of these tragedy brought a tear to my eyes.

The one in 2003 hit me a lot harder after the Challenger explosion. My Chemistry teacher was one of two that could have been chosen from Alabama if Mrs. McAuliffe couldn't have made it. After that happened she wasn't the same. It was hard to see how it affected her. Made the other worse for me. :twocents

Wow! That's rough... I can't imagine being in that situation. :( 

Every time any vehicle went up - shuttle or otherwise - those astronauts were incredibly brave for going knowing that a million things could go wrong... not to mention those that went up after an accident. And yet they still went.  :thumb

Archived