SolarGard vs Vista, home vs auto, please help

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to tint the second floor of my townhouse, about 88 sq ft total. My main goal is to get UV protection when the blinds are open, thought he blinds are mostly closed. My wife has a thing about UV exposure.

Anyway, after reading and asking for estimates, I've narrowed it down to 2 vendors, both of whom advertise home and auto services. Let's say, Vendor A and Vendor B.

Vendor A sent me an estimate that's about $8.5/sq ft +13% tax (I'm in Canada). Seems like a decent guy, lowered his quote when I gave more detailed measurements that totaled about 40 sq ft less than my initial estimates to everyone. Many vendors did not adjust their estimates even though I actually needed much less coverage than initially thought...so I eliminated them. He priced Vista Dayview 45. This is made by Eastman, seems legit, recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation for UVA/UVB protection greater than 99%. OK.

Vendor B sent an estimate, also on letterhead (many vendors just sent an email, no proposal outline or business number). The price was actually only about $6.6/sq ft + 13% tax. Also seems like a decent guy. He didn't give me an estimate until I sent out the revised measurements so this is the only quote I got from him. He said he uses SolarGard, which is also recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation, but I asked him what line of tint he uses, and the reply was basically a link for Ultragard UV, which is an automotive film.

This concerns me. I looked around this forum, and it seems that residential (flat glass) and automotive film is not the same, and probably involves different competencies with regards to the installer. Also, looking at the performance data, there's a big difference between residential and automotive film. I was almost ready to go with Vendor B until this whole automotive film issue came up.

Could someone give me some advice? There seem to be lots of experienced and knowledgeable professionals on this forum. I've really narrowed it down to these two, and not looking to add other options. We don't have as many options here in Canada as you seem to have in the US either, and all the local vendors seems to go with SolarGard, Vista, and Nexfil, though some threads here have discussed other brands.

Thanks!

Image keeping your blinds open and enjoying the view! Dr35 n1040 v45 v38

Archived