PPF Install Quality Advise

Hi guys,

I came across this forum after I've had a Llumar PPF front end install done on my brand new car and noticed some flaws and wanted to see if it's normal or it was a bad install. The car is a new Dodge Challenger and pre-cut kits were used. I noticed on the bumper, the side markers don't match up and, and there's a bigger gap on the pre-cut relief cut on one side than the other. There's also areas where more PPF kits were install where the edges have at least 1/16"-1/8" of space from the leading edge. I understand these are kits but should they be this inconsistent or should the lines all match up?

I contacted the installer about my displeasure with the bumper but haven't heard back yet.

Any advise is appreciated.

the relief cut right there looks like its from the pre cut but its quite normal. the over hanging film over the marker is a problem.

Many professionals will get the computer to not cut out sensors and markers, they will then trim it after real close by hand after its installed. Sometimes if the installer gets the computer to cut the markers and sensors  before the install, on many occasions they never line up after stretching. Especially if they use a Welfare software.

The last photo i cant tell what it is 100%

The last pic is the lower bumper where 2 pieces meet as part of the kit. It looks like one piece overlapped and is very noticeable.

So the relief cut gap aren't usually close together on most installs?

For the edges, which I don't have pics of at the moment. Is it normal for kits to not go all the way to the edges and have a 1/16" to 1/8" gap?

the two relief cuts, one is done well (consistent spacing how it was ment to be installed) and the other is not so well. it looks like one side was done from a different installer.  maybe divided the job. there should be no overlapping. 

You can go back and tell them your concern. Its always good to be polite and i'm sure it can be resolved.

3 minutes ago, blackoutauto said:

the two relief cuts, one is done well (consistent spacing how it was ment to be installed) and the other is not so well. it looks like one side was done from a different installer.  maybe divided the job. there should be no overlapping. 

You can go back and tell them your concern. Its always good to be polite and i'm sure it can be resolved.

Thanks for clarifying about the relief cuts and helping me understand these things.

Any advise on the spacing or gaps on the leading edge? I have these mostly notice on the sides of the hood, and top of the front bumper.

To repair the front bumper, relief cut spacing and side marker overhang, can it be repaired on the current PPF and how so? Or does a new piece need to be installed? The car has had the PPF on for about a week but hasn't been driven since is garaged. Any chance of damaging the paint if it needs to be redone?

for the most part, if you would like the inconsistent gaps around the markers redone, they will have to replace with new piece and the installer should handcut that area after the install to minimize the gap. (please be advised some installers cut through the paint, some don't usually based on experience)

removing the film will not damage the paint. 

sometimes small gaps are normal, as long as its consistent. The film cannot cover everything. but should cover the main paint areas.

Archived