Adjusting to colder weather

It's starting to get colder here in Indiana. And I've seen several different stories of people's backglass breaking from being heated by defroster while it's extremely cold outside. I was going to do the backglass on my wife's car this morning but was half affraid to use heat gun on it because it was pretty cold. Is that something that should even be worried about? Or does anyone have any good do's or don't's when it comes to colder weather?

Ive always heard a very small amount of alcohol, like a capful, is good to help adhesive dry faster when it's cold. Is it safe for tint?  

Edited by TQtinting

I let the back window warm up before shrinking. Try to spread the heat out over a larger area. Squeegee really well. Heat the heck out of side windows to set the film. The window will contract faster than the film when you pull it outside and will cause fingers. I've had fingers form where the water froze behind, but you can use your thumb to warm the finger and then set it.

Edited by CustomGlassTinter

Heated shop is best and wait till the ride warms up before cleaning the glass

Havent really heard of defrosters breaking glass when cold other than i saw one that broke the glass were the wire pluggin was soldered back on the glass

2 hours ago, DOOTINT said:

Heated shop is best and wait till the ride warms up before cleaning the glass

Havent really heard of defrosters breaking glass when cold other than i saw one that broke the glass were the wire pluggin was soldered back on the glass

I saw a couple stories few years ago of it happening but I'm not sure how credible the story was. I'm in the processing of figuring out how I wanna heat my shop this week. 

@TQtinting I have heard of tinters using electric blankets over the glass to warm it up....in Alaska.  That doesn't rule us in the lower 48 doing it when we can't keep our work space warm enough. I have had application solution  (soapy water ) freeze on the glass when I spray it but have never used acholol in my slip. Just seems like it would possibly  affect the adhesive long term. Most adhesive is a vegetable base. 

Cheers

Was mobile for 11 years in Michigan.  past couple years been hitting -15 at times.   Have always tinted inside a shop and alter methods for the cold weather.

Inform customers the car has to thaw before it can be tinted.  sucks when the slip freezes on the window when ya spray it.  Tell them  heat and defrost on and car warm before they arrive.  leave it running in parking lot.  DEMAND 70 degrees while tinting in shop and 20 to 30 min wait time before pulling it out.  Switch to drying agent in winter like Ultra-bond and seal edges with heat.  Use pro-handle and extra pressure to remove excess water.  make sure BG is warm before shrinking.   

Isopropal alky doesnt break down tint glue from my winter installed jobs(flatglass or auto) for at least the last 15yrs or so and it doesnt break down the adhesive for removals very well either 

Windshield washer fluid worked for a flatglass job that was over 100mi away and no good heat at the storefront glass@i just dumped in a few ozs in my 2qt sprayer as the reg slip froze when cleaning the glass

Edited by DOOTINT

4 hours ago, DOOTINT said:

Isopropal alky doesnt break down tint glue from my winter installed jobs(flatglass or auto) for at least the last 15yrs or so and it doesnt break down the adhesive for removals very well either 

Windshield washer fluid worked for a flatglass job that was over 100mi away and no good heat at the storefront glass@i just dumped in a few ozs in my 2qt sprayer as the reg slip froze when cleaning the glass

I've tried it to remove glue and like you said it doesn't work very well. Next time I'll try a little alcohol in my slip then. Never heard of using windshield washer fluid but I'll keep it in mind if I ever have problems