Failed seals

Guest windoworx

Guest windoworx

Here is an interesting question. When you go to a customers house for a quote, and you notice that the seals have already failed, what do you tell them? What do they end up doing?

I have found that most people don't care because they wont go to the expense of replacing the glass. Mostly because they are high and/or funky shaped windows. I am sure these are not cheap to replace. Obviously no seal warranty is in effect.

Guest windoworx

90% of what I install is N1035B. Since most people don't was the outside of there windows anyway, won't make much difference in a few months.

Guest pmuzik
Here is an interesting question. When you go to a customers house for a quote, and you notice that the seals have already failed, what do you tell them? What do they end up doing?

I sell them windows first and then film :DD

Guest Blade

I just tell them there's seal failure. The tint isn't going to change anything about it. Most don't care to have the windows replaced. I share a building with a glass shop that can replace them. I always mention that, but they just have me tint them anyway. It's rare someone puts off tinting because of it. It does happen occasionally where they replace the window 1st. But I can't actually recall losing a job because of it.

Guest pmuzik

It depends on the manufacturer of the windows they may be covered, andersen and pella for instance have a 20 year glass warranty. I have made some good brownie points with my customers by pointing this out. Depending on the age of the windows the glass itself is usually supplied but not the labor to install it. I give the customers the info necassary to initiate a warranty claim and install it when it comes in THEN put film on it.

my experience has been that after I inform them, they usually appreciate the information and change the glass. often they go with one of my glass company contacts. optical carity is much improved and it usually does not cost that much.

Yea, you definatly have to point it out to the customer. You don't want them comming back to you saying it wasn't like this before film. I did loose one job by pointing out seal problems. It was an older house with real bad squigle seals. I poited out that a few of the seals were gone and then discused with her the whole story about seal failure. She decided to just get the job done, but then called the next day and decided not to spend a big pile of $ on bad glass. Had to agree with her and hope to go back in the next few years to tint the new glass...

Archived