My sister's 03 Eclipse

Guest JUICE

I wanna say theres alot of useful info on this board. I havent really posted much cause ive been reading throughout the board. Ive learned alot from reading the problem now is doing it in person.

Im a newbie but I love tinting, Ive done only front windows of some cars. They come out ok and all, still need to learn more though.

Well this is it, I was doing my sisters 03 Eclipse yesterday. I did the 2 front doors and the little rear ones. I made a pattern for the side windows with butcher paper and they came out great, exact match. There was a little contanination here and there(little dots) but nothing like "awwwwww". The little sides were easy, came out good.

As for the back, I wasnt really gonna put it on yet. I did a mold of the window to have it ready. I noticed alot of huge fingers on it. The rear window im gonna do it in 2 pieces since the tint I got is 20". Im using 20% on the rear window. For the fronts I used 30%. Since im new to this, I used the AutoZone tint. I did the Horizontal Anchor to see how many fingers will come out and there were plenty. Now all I need a a heat gun for this. I was looking at this Black and Decker Heat Gun.

I know I cannot master this in a few months, it takes years. What would u guys recommed to me for the back window.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HOLY SVIT are you in for a suprise :lol the back window is a nightmare to get in 1 piece, even doing it in 2 pieces is going to be very hard if not impossible for somebody that has not heat formed tint before. :lol:lol you gotta start somewhere though :lol:lol

yup thats what ive been reading here. I went to the model and make of an Eclipse and someone said its hell.

My buddy who worked at a tint shop told me the same thing today, that its hard as hell. He offered himself but I declined cause I wanna learn to do these thing. But hes gonna help out a bit though. Its gonna take a while for me to learn but im very interested and wont give up.

Hey guys for the heat gun, what is the best temp to use for molding or shrinking the fingers. I know im not supposed to just let it heat the area for a long time cause it messes up the tint and stuff. For instance when heating it, its best to use a rolled up paper towel to prevent creases, and after all done use a hard card.

How was u all's expereince when u all started doing this. Did u all get all frustrated. I sure did knowing this is gonna be hard as hell.:(

I forgot to ask this. I got a 98 mustang that has old tint from 6 years ago, it was all limo. IM gonna take it off cause it turned purple and lots of bubbles on it. Im gonna use some 20% tint I got here.

Is a 98 Mustang hard as the 03 Eclipse. Since im new, I wanna give it a shot in 2 or 3 pieces.

the mustng backglass is ALOT easier than the eclipse.

a regular cheap wagner or black and decker heatgun will work.

if you have a lowes around you can find the black milwaukee in the paint section. I think they are like 20 bucks or something.

Did u all get all frustrated

:lol oh hell yeah, welcome to window tinting :lol

when you first start out its like that on every car you work on.

I always run my heatgun on high, you can controll the heat by how close you get the gun to the film, move it closer to the tint if you want hotter move it away for cooler, and I use cotton gloves on my hand so I can smooth the film down as I go. some people use hardcards and stuff like that though. you have to try it different ways and find which way is better for you.

Guest shattered

read the fourms and go in your garage and keep trying. this is the only way to learn. I found that the really big garbage can with a lid set real close to the car is helpful. It keeps all of your f ups hidden.

Archived