Commission rates, benifits, etc

Guest SixPack

Guest SixPack

Hello fellow technician! I have been doing PDR for 4 years now and have 1 year left of a 5 yr contract. Not sure where to go from there. Stay with the Co. or go out on my own. Anyway, I wanted to see what other guys out there were getting from the companies they work for. Would also like some input from the guys who go at it alone.

This is what I get from the company: small truck, tools, SEPT w/ 3% match, 2 weeks vac. (@ $200/day), $100 for health insurance (through the Company), 45% commission. I have to pay for my own gas.

This has been a slow year for my area but I am still doing pretty well.

Hope to hear back from some peps soon..

6PK

Guest Express Dent

Hello 6pk, your question isnt an easy one to give a straight answer to. I've done both and each have their own very distinct advatanges and disadvantages. Your benefit and pay plan isnt bad at all, some might say your doing all the work and only getting 45% but there is alot to be said for being done for the day and having a support network behind you. I received a very similar package when I was doing company work, worse in an area or two, better in others. I didnt have an opportunity to do anything other than push metal for the rest of my days and that wasnt good enough for me.

I work harder now than I ever did working for a Co. and some months dont make as much. The flip side is Im doing it for me and it seems to be easier and more profitable each quarter. I have the possibility of a very bright and prosperous future if I continue to work hard and make good decisions. LOL.....I could also find myself unemployed and begging for work come spring time. Thats the reality of a new business over the course of the first few years :hmmm .

If you belive you have what it takes to do the work then go home and take care of the billing, taxes, tool buying, answering the calls, no help when you run into something tuff, vehicle maintenence, no paid vacation, no retirement, trying to find health coverage, providing your own disability ins, getting insurance for the business, collecting from slow paying customers, writing your own checks, payroll and banking, quarterly returns, paying an accountant...........blah blah blah, then go for it.

The American dream, even with all of the starting struggles and problems I have no doubt I would do it all again.

I would never criticize someone for chosing the stability of working with an established company. I know many people that "need" that.

I cant fault anyone who would rather try and fail then wonder "what if"

told you it was a difficult question to answer :spit

Guest SixPack

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I think I am comfortable where I am at the moment. Married w/ young kids (wife stays home with kids) so I stick it out for another year at least.

This is what I get from the company: small truck, tools, SEPT w/ 3% match, 2 weeks vac. (@ $200/day), $100 for health insurance (through the Company), 45% commission. I have to pay for my own gas.

This has been a slow year for my area but I am still doing pretty well.

Hope to hear back from some peps soon..

6PK

[*]222623

I think I would stay put sixpack :spank

Guest kccartint

I went through the same thing last year and had a hard time deciding. I had been tinting windows and installing electronics for so many years that I had a good customer base to start with and put the word out for a year and started to get my pdr buisness rolling before I jumped in with both feet. Your situation is a little different but I found the first year was a little slow but still had consistant pay and enough to keep me going. If you decide to do it than just save up some money to take care of your new business expenses and your family in case it starts out slow. It is very rewarding working for your self and when you do good work you yourself get noticed not that guy from that company. I am all for trying new things and taking chances but your a family man so keep them in mind and take care of them first. Good luck either way.

Archived