UAP 400 , 3M

4 ML Ultra Films actually perform as well as 11 ML polyester films- -FYI.

28 micro-layers per 4 ML -39 layers for Ulta 600

3MGuy

[*]272697

:nope:thumb:lol2

This is declared. And may be lab tested.

At 1995 (I was Solar G..... dealer) our government bank make a competition. One window was coated with Solar G..., other - 3M. Idea of test. Security of bank throw stones into the window. 3M - stone inside bank after SECOND (!!!!) try, threw other window after NINTH (!!!!). I have a pictures and video of these tests. Sorry 3MGuy, I don't believe ....

Many competitive films and anchoring systems meet the GSA Standards and DoD testing standards.

The 3M Ultra films meet the standards for annealed, tempered and of course IG Units.

The big boys-??

Like the UN and many other "big boys" use 3M -sleep at night- -and understand that if something goes wrong -3M will be there to fix it- -

I like the knife test- -but - -perhaps you might consider sharpening that blade!?

3MGUY

I was in a competitive bidding situation, with the 3M ultra and other and the other wasn't able to hold the candle to the specs on the 3M. City went with the 3M. Before that point, I too thought all could be equal but learned that was not the case. Stuff is tough though, as 3M guy states, it is difficult to cut, much less tear. Isn't it something like 28 criss-crossed layers of material or something similar? If your customer wants 3M Ultra your out of luck if you can't get 3M.

Guest metint
Leo,

The Ultra 400 is not a regular 4 mil safety.

It almost impossiblre to tear the film even if you cut a piece before with a knife !!

[*]272989

Challenge... Take a piece of this ultimate ::lol:: ultra film and a piece of any and all other safety film out there, cut a one inch slice into the edge toward the film center, take each piece and tear at this cut with both hands going opposite directions and fast, as if your life depended on it. Repeat this test going much slower as if to demonstrate to client.

In the real world, violent events occur to glass and film in microseconds, not microminutes. When glass is shearing film instantaneously during a violent event it has the potential to tear in the same fashion as the one you performed tearing as quickly as possible. It won't tear when you're a sales person showing a client the film doesn't tear. Unless it's a smart consumer who wants to tear it rapidly as described above. In fact, this is where I got the information... from a consumer looking for protection.

By the by... the big boy's recent test data is on their tech site for those interested. The worst was a GSA rating of 3b, 8 mil annealed/tempered polymer anchoring. The best was GSA 1 Reflective 8 mil Framelok edge retention and GSA 2 reflective and clear 8 mil tempered/annealed single and dual pane. Out of 16 panels tested, 5 were 3b and the remaining were 1 or 2. All were 8 mil, 8 Framelok, 8 polymer edge retention. Annealed, tempered, single and dual pane, glass.

Is anyone aware of the cost per window unit to blast test? This as well as self-insured expenses incurred from last falls tornado and current plant expansion from a company supposedly not able to honor warranties because their mother company filed for chapter 11 protection a year ago. :shock

Archived