how would you handle this

had my local glass shop call and ask for a bid on a competitors film...it is an exclusive film so the distributor will not sell it to me as they will only sell it to one of their dealers....they did however; as me to wrok with the guy or at least talk to him and see if I would want to work with him on the install..I told them I would not like to work with him and did not want to tell my glass shop who he was I did not want to be linked to the project because I know the type of installs he does. .. the distributor said well ok, but called me back later saying he wanted to talk and maybe his dealer could give me a bird dog for the referal....my thinking is the job can die for all I care let them find the guy who will hack there job....its 700 sq ft probably about 2800.00 job 30 panes...I'd love to do the job but not with there guy...what would you do???????????????

had my local glass shop call and ask for a bid on a competitors film...it is an exclusive film so the distributor will not sell it to me as they will only sell it to one of their dealers....they did however; as me to wrok with the guy or at least talk to him and see if I would want to work with him on the install..I told them I would not like to work with him and did not want to tell my glass shop who he was I did not want to be linked to the project because I know the type of installs he does. .. the distributor said well ok, but called me back later saying he wanted to talk and maybe his dealer could give me a bird dog for the referal....my thinking is the job can die for all I care let them find the guy who will hack  there job....its 700 sq ft probably about 2800.00 job 30 panes...I'd love to do the job but not with there guy...what would you do???????????????

[*]281158

the only way I would do it, is if the guy would hire me instead, pay me at what I say, if not kick him to the curb. get it?

Guest metint

Pure salesmanship is all that's needed... sell, sell, sell them on the attributes of a film that will meet their needs and that you have access to. :)

If this is an absolute impossibility, work something out with the dealer who has the film they want. Letting it die just means more time for the consumer to do research and an eventual find of the dealer in question. He'll wind up with the job no sooner than you working with him, but later... :DD

Metint is right

Just because they spec out a certain film does not mean it is a done deal. Many times I have been asked to install a certain film that I do not carry. Once you sit down with the people and discuss the options available, good chances you can install something you carry.

I've tried the option of selling my film rather the others to the potential customer. ( and I could sell a snow-blower to a dude with no driveway on miami beach :) ) some people are just stuck on house-hold types of names. if I were in that situation and I knew the dude was a hack I would have nothing to do with the job. I wouldn't want my work next to his and wouldn't want to be associated with him at all. :DD

Archived