Problem removing radio from 02 Civic Sedan LX

Guest 2hondacivics

Guest 2hondacivics

I just bought a 2002 civic sedan, and the radio is a cassette player, I want to install a cd player but my man and I cannot figure out how to remove the original radio. the dealer said that the bottom compartment (under the radio) pops out so I can install a cd player, only it doesn't come out the way the dealer said.

My man said the only way he could do it is to pry it out and that would damage the interior.

can anyone help me??

another questions... why the hell is a cassette player standard in the 2002 civic models?!?!

Yes, the pocket underneath the radio and the radio should pry out together. I don't have one of those on my lot right now, but if I remember correctly, there are two compression clips above the factory radio, and two compression clips below that pocket, and they come out as a pair. I normally purchase the dash kit to accept an aftermarket DIN sized receiver for that car, the pocket underneath the radio is included with the dash kit. That way if you damage the plastic prying it out, it is completely replaced with the kit.

Guest 2hondacivics

well, we tryed to pry it out and it was a no-go. there are no clips under the pocket or above the radio. :(

I think I may end up taking it in and having walmart/bestbuy or some other auto place remove it and put my new one in, cause no one can figure it out.

Guest TwistedTinter

on an 02 if the lower pocket next to the shifter doesnt pop out then you have to pull up the trim up around the shifter. Should be clips on the side of the trim on the console the top part that is. Then you can reach behind the dash to access 2 8mm bolts that hold the radio trim and housing in the dash. push the ac/heat vents down then pull from there to release clips work carefully around the trim to release all the clips. Then u will see all the screws u need to remove to remove the radio.

Archived