Vista VS61

Guest FilmBlazer

Guest FilmBlazer

Hey everyone, I just sold my first VS61 job this afternoon, but I have one major concern. The application in question is a storefront display. The entire job runs about 450 sq. feet on the glass and I am slightly concerned about the exterior reflectance of this particular film. VS60 is out of the question b/c of cost and I would like some input from someone that has some exerience with this film.

I believe the exterior reflectance is 20% for VS61 for single pane glass. The film allows for a very high amount of light transmission, which I am hoping, will help to reduce the exterior reflectance. The 450 sq. foot application consists of just two vestibules with windows 10 feet tall. I am hoping that the light transmission will make a big diff in the mirror effect on the exterior, but I can't help but be concerned until I see an application or get some input. I am a platinum dealer so I can't consider any other options outside of Vista and Llumar. V58 won't cut the Western heat for my clients, and I know VS75 is an option, but we run into less heat reduction once again.

Any advice would be spectacular.

Thanks

Film Blazer

Geez a light reflectance you say of 20%?

Might ruin a fair portion of the vision into the shop from outside.

Pity you couldn't use another make of film like Beks new Hilite 70 with only 1 percentage point more than clear glass at 9% which is very commendable and a TSER of 54%.

Devil

Guest FilmBlazer
Geez a light reflectance you say of 20%?

Might ruin a fair portion of the vision into the shop from outside.

Pity you couldn't use another make of film like Beks new Hilite 70 with only 1 percentage point more than clear glass at 9% which is very commendable and a TSER of 54%.

Devil

[*]310023

VS60 is only 8% exterior reflectance on single pane glass with TSER of 58%, but he can't afford the cost of it. According to my sources Clear Dual Pane is 15% reflectance, so we are looking at about 5% more reflective than that. I am still hoping that the VLT on these huge windows will tone down the reflectance. Any more input?

Just curious, how is the cost of Beks in comparison to some of the other Spectrally Selective / Ceramic films out there? I like being platinum, in fact I even get some jobs because of it, but I have also lost a couple too b/c they were spec'd with other film manufacturers.

- FilmBlazer

Guest metint
VS60 is only 8% exterior reflectance on single pane glass with TSER of 58%, but he can't afford the cost of it. According to my sources Clear Dual Pane is 15% reflectance, so we are looking at about 5% more reflective than that. I am still hoping that the VLT on these huge windows will tone down the reflectance. Any more input?

Just curious, how is the cost of Beks in comparison to some of the other Spectrally Selective / Ceramic films out there? I like being platinum, in fact I even get some jobs because of it, but I have also lost a couple too b/c they were spec'd with other film manufacturers.

- FilmBlazer

[*]310026

Being in biz does not entitle anyone to every sale they may encounter, but it certainly would be nice. Props to you for sticking with the Platinum thing.

Compromise is in everything we do in life... shop owner wants high light high heat, he must compromise and pay what it costs. Don't believe for a minute the other spectrally selective products are noticeably less expensive than another. They are very difficult films to construct and therefore drives up the production costs.

I've got some VS 61 on the shelf, I'll slap a piece on the viewing glass and take a look at the visibility for you and get back, let you know what I see. Maybe even a picture, if I can track down my camera.

Guest metint

Okay... in the pic you will see VS61 on the left an N1050 on the right. Taken on the shade side of the building (if you want to see sun on it, it might be a couple days since we are not to have sunny today).

Looking through the VS61 glass only... the film boxes stood on end are at 2 and 4 feet from the glass. You can almost make out the peel board upright painted red in between the boxes... it is at least 12 feet from the glass with chrome support members for the glass visible at angles to the red upright.

You also see dark background behind me allowing good visibility through the film/glass and you see the sky reflected in both sides, which dramatically reduces visibility through film/glass. This sky reflection would also be present without the film (I can get another pic after VS61 is removed).

I believe there is going to be visibility into the store at or better than the N1050, but it would also depend much on sun position and background reflections.

post-149-1125410109.jpg

Its really going to be hard to tell you what it will look like because of the location and the lighting on the storefront. If there is poor lighting inside, at certian times of the day it is going to really look shiny.

I would go with the spec. selec. film for sure. A storefront can be a retailers best form of advertizing and their worst problem (heat-UV). It should be an easy up sell.

Guest FilmBlazer
Its really going to be hard to tell you what it will look like because of the location and the lighting on the storefront.  If there is poor lighting inside, at certian times of the day it is going to really look shiny.

I would go with the spec. selec. film for sure.  A storefront can be a retailers best form of advertizing and their worst problem (heat-UV).  It should be an easy up sell.

[*]310076

The VS61 is already an upsell from V58. He just won't spend the money unfortunately. The cost of the Spectrally Selective films along with the slump in the economy has killed me this season. VS60 has been a HUGE portion of my gross sales in the past 2 years but customers, especially commercial customers, are just not willing to spend the money because they are feeling the wrath of the ecomony as well. The cost of the film has spiked significantly this year which has been devastating.

Back to the subject, I am thinking I might be ok with the VS61. It does look a bit reflective on Metint's shop window, but it appears to be pretty dark inside the shop. The storefront area consists of two vestibules with about 225 sq. feet of glass within each one, and the windows are 10 feet tall. It is similar to the crude pic I just found with a google search.

http://www.bau-xi.com/dynamic/images/displ...ht_1104_525.jpg

Anymore insight from anyone?

Thanks for the pics Metint, your help is greatly appreciated. Since you've been around so long the grass has grown over you, would you feel safe applying the VS61? I know you haven't seen the job, but based on the description and approximate layout in the hyperlink attached I would like to know what you think.

Guest metint

I'm with you on the choices given what the shop owner has laid down in terms of priority. V75 would have been the better choice when concerned greatly over visibility through from the outside. You have given the shop owner a more economical solution to his requirements in performance.

If you have ever seen Platinum Plus 35 auto film on a cloudy day, that would be the worst it should look in a not so favorable lighting. PP 35 on a sunny day barely looks as though the car is tinted. VS61 has slightly greater VLR at 20, PP35 = 18% VLR.

Not seeing the glass setting, not fully understanding the shop owner's goal, just playing by film in Vista offerings, you did just fine.

The grass growing over me really translates into trees instead to reflect the time I've spent in the industry as a full time income earner... I started April of 1980.

Best wishes on the clients satisfaction leaning to your favor. :eyebrows

Archived