Rubber seal in door won't flip back up - Help!

Guest nukem2k5

Guest nukem2k5

I had my windows tinted about two weeks ago and tonight I noticed that the little rubber pieces that were supposed to flip back up (the inside window seal) did not actually flip up. In fact, my driver window now has a scratch along the tint.

I was able to wedge various objects into the two front doors to get the seals back up (which now look miss-shapen - I'm hoping over time they'll be flat again). I am not, however, able to get the two back windows fixed because they don't go down all the way.

I'd call the place but I have a feeling they'll be out of business for a while (I live in SE Louisiana and there probably won't be power in my county/parish for several weeks) so I wan't to get that stuff fixed myself as soon as possible before they're really warped.

Even though I don't think scratches are covered in the warranty, do you think that he'll be willing to redo my driver window since the scratch formed from the rubber things not popping up (which he said they would and that if they didn't to bring the car back to him)?

Also, how do I go about fixing the seals in the two back doors? I've taken the door panel off my passenger door before, so I know how to do that relatively easily. Is there any other way to do it besides taking off the door panel or prying things in there? The latter option won't work on those doors.

Thanks for any input you guys have.

Guest Braud Spectrum

I realize you have extenuating circumstances with the hurricane but the tinter should be contacted when you can and let him (or her :copcar ) take care of that for you.

sorry to hear about the problems in your area dude.

take the car back to the tint shop...they can pull the seals up with a hook tool.

if they are mis-shapened at all usually a heat gun can help to get 'em back to their original shape. Honda panels are easy to pull. but there are alot of tinters who aren't panel pullers.

if it were my shop and the tucked seal caused the scratch then I'd redo the tint for you. don't know what your shop will do though. :copcar of course...at my shop you wouldn't have left the store with the seal still tucked.

Guest nukem2k5
at my shop you wouldn't have left the store with the seal still tucked.

[*]310598

He said he had to leave it tucked in order to let the tint dry properly and that it would pop back in place when I rolled them down and back up. Do you guys think if they stay in that position for a long time that they'll need to be replaced rather than just put into the proper position? I may not be able to take it there for a while due to this hurricane.

Guest nukem2k5
wipe the gaskets down thoroughly...make sure they're clean...then roll the windows ALL THE WAY DOWN.  when you roll the windows back up it'll catch the seal and unlip it.

[*]310620

What do I wipe them down with? I live in the dorm at LSU so I'm very limited on supplies. I know that most basic cleaning things like Windex are a no-no, but that water on a rag works. What else can I use to clean them?

Archived