Need info on tinting a new skylight!!!!!!

Guest Nitrousoxide764

Guest Nitrousoxide764

Newbie here I guess you could say. Got a new shingled roof this week along with a brand new skylight. Replaced the old plastic bubbled one. New one lets alot more light in. Would like to shade a little light out and maybe cut down on some heat gain. The skylight is double paned with tempered glass on both panes. Each piece of glass is 7/8 of an inch thick with argon and a moisture wick sealed between the two. I was planning on tackling this job myself since it's only a 19 inch by 19 inch square. I usually tint my own back windows on my little toyota trucks so I have some basic knowledge. I have enough 35% silver reflective tint left over to tackle the job. It is llumar brand automotive film. I'd just like to hear from the pros wether this would be a good choice of tint for my skylight to be safe. Also, should I leave a little light gap around the edges? I would h@te to see it explode on me. I am in the southeast with many 100+ degree days during the summer. I would appreciate ANY insight as soon as possible. I want to try to knockout the job tomorrow morning while it is still cool. THANKS!post-15602-1127162111.jpg

Guest windoworx

I have filmed many a skylight using R-20 (mostly)and R-35. Since I don't do auto film I can't say for sure but using a PS adhesive film on a skylight would seem to raise the degree of dificulty to the nth degree. Good luck.

PS. does newbie = never did flat glass before?

I did pick up in your post that it is LLumar (reflective) automotive? Call the factory and ask them whether or not you should be installing Platinum Plus on 7/8 inch tempered. 800.255.8627 ext. 3366

Guest Nitrousoxide764

Thanks for the tip metint but I guess you could say it is too late to call. I just got finished with the skylight. It turned out pretty good for a novice tinter I think. The end result is exactly what I was looking for...............a bit less sunlight getting into the bathroom. We are supposed to have a heat index of 105 degrees today. If no glass breaks today it should survive from here on out. Here is a before and after shot. Thanks for everyones input!!

post-15602-1127234689.jpgpost-15602-1127234742.jpg

Thanks for the tip metint but I guess you could say it is too late to call. 

[*]316070

I checked today and the answer was, "Doubtful the glass is that thick per pane, but none-the-less tempered, no worries, even if it's auto tint. Just no warranty."

Second that nice before and after shots...

Archived