2 tint or not 2 tint?

Guest ricklaugh

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ricklaugh

I am in the midst of personally testing all these products...meaning I have ordered and requested samples.. placed film on about 50 different pieces of glass...and installed different films on my own home. I live in Texas and Vancouver. I put Vkool 70 and vkool 35 on my texas home. I am now wanting to go into business so as you can tell...I noticed heat reduction right away!! I just put Vk-70 on my vancouver home and although it is not even hot right now...it's beautiful. It doesn;t just allow the light through but it seriously improves the view! I have also done baseline and benchmark energy analysis on a few projects with v-kool and with madico the rate of return was always within 2 years in Texas so in my mind that pretty good. Heres the stats for the 70% (CLEAR):

Solar Energy Rejected: 55%

(Solar Reflectance:26.5% Absorbtance%38.5 Transmittance:35%)

Infrared heat rejection: 94%

Light transmittance: 70%

Safety film: will help

Glare: I don't know the stats your supposed to use here but My house looks absolutely normal and I can see the TV with no blinds.

Winter concerns: U .94, Emmisivity.6

Colors: Its a light grey...but seriously clear. The VK35 is a light grey and slightly darker but still an impecable view!! The difference between the two are well the stats are different but to me as a "customer" they feel the same.

If you want to consider these...I would suggest get a sample of both. Apply to 5X7 picture frame so you can see how it looks. Buy a $14 infrared heat lamp from home depot and let your wife decide. No matter what the decision she makes, she will know you put the best film on and if she doesn;t like either...you put the heat lamp in the bathroom for when she gets out of the shower it warms and dries her and you won't mind if your home is red hot anymore!

I can not service an install in FL. but if you e-mail a mailing address or PO box I can arrange a sample and estimate to be sent easily.

good luck! rebekhaf@empoweres.com

[*]326828

[*]327042

Very informative. Thanks for the effort. I am on Vista's website. I do not see a "VK" model number. However, I do see the "VS" under the "Spectrally Selective" - I.e. VS70 SR CDF. Given our requirements of heat reduction with a higher percentage of light transmitted, it sounds like these "spectrally selective" films may be the answer. I believe one post stated that these may not offer enough glare reduction. I notice that VS60 SR CDF offers 58% TSER, 58 visible light transmitted, and 36% glare reduction. Also, the interior and exterior light reflection is only 8%, which sounds like we would get great night vision. This seems to be a good choice. What do you think?

Guest ricklaugh

I am in the midst of personally testing all these products...meaning I have ordered and requested samples.. placed film on about 50 different pieces of glass...and installed different films on my own home. I live in Texas and Vancouver. I put Vkool 70 and vkool 35 on my texas home. I am now wanting to go into business so as you can tell...I noticed heat reduction right away!! I just put Vk-70 on my vancouver home and although it is not even hot right now...it's beautiful. It doesn;t just allow the light through but it seriously improves the view! I have also done baseline and benchmark energy analysis on a few projects with v-kool and with madico the rate of return was always within 2 years in Texas so in my mind that pretty good. Heres the stats for the 70% (CLEAR):

Solar Energy Rejected: 55%

(Solar Reflectance:26.5% Absorbtance%38.5 Transmittance:35%)

Infrared heat rejection: 94%

Light transmittance: 70%

Safety film: will help

Glare: I don't know the stats your supposed to use here but My house looks absolutely normal and I can see the TV with no blinds.

Winter concerns: U .94, Emmisivity.6

Colors: Its a light grey...but seriously clear. The VK35 is a light grey and slightly darker but still an impecable view!! The difference between the two are well the stats are different but to me as a "customer" they feel the same.

If you want to consider these...I would suggest get a sample of both. Apply to 5X7 picture frame so you can see how it looks. Buy a $14 infrared heat lamp from home depot and let your wife decide. No matter what the decision she makes, she will know you put the best film on and if she doesn;t like either...you put the heat lamp in the bathroom for when she gets out of the shower it warms and dries her and you won't mind if your home is red hot anymore!

I can not service an install in FL. but if you e-mail a mailing address or PO box I can arrange a sample and estimate to be sent easily.

good luck! rebekhaf@empoweres.com

[*]326828

[*]327042

Very informative. Thanks for the effort. I am on Vista's website. I do not see a "VK" model number. However, I do see the "VS" under the "Spectrally Selective" - I.e. VS70 SR CDF. Given our requirements of heat reduction with a higher percentage of light transmitted, it sounds like these "spectrally selective" films may be the answer. I believe one post stated that these may not offer enough glare reduction. I notice that VS60 SR CDF offers 58% TSER, 58 visible light transmitted, and 36% glare reduction. Also, the interior and exterior light reflection is only 8%, which sounds like we would get great night vision. This seems to be a good choice. What do you think?

[*]327176

My bad. I found V-Kool. I didn't realize it was a different company than Vista.

Guest TintPoser
if you like the night vision....llumar has a dual reflective and solargard/panarama has a slate.  all listed are very good films.  very effective as well.

[*]326702

Do you know anything about Bekaert Panorama Hilite 70? The specs that I have read on the web are impressive. Since we obviously cannot have a clear solar film with superior heat reduction, what is the next best, cost effective solution? Summary:

Heat Reduction: main priority. I would like enough reduction to eliminate need for blinds, etc.

Light transmittance: number two priority. Want as much as light as possible.

Safety film: not a concern

Glare: low to medium priority. We do receive glare from a pond directly behind our home on the south side. The sun does reflect off of the pond and into the home in the middle of the day.

Privacy: low priority. Neighbors are 100 yards in all directions.

Winter concerns: very few since we live in central FL.

Colors: not that important. Prefer clear, neutrals, grays, etc. I don't believe the wife would prefer bronze, copper, etc.

I hope that helps. Thanks!

[*]326828

v-kool 70 or v-kool-40

vk-70 - 55% heat rejection in the summer - in the winter, you still gain a bit from the high light transmission levels

vk-40 - 65% heat rejection in the summer, in the winter, you till gain a bit from the good light trnsmission levels. VERY Comfortable on the eyes, but still lets in a LOT of light.

Both films are great IR reflectors and come pretty damn close to replacing your windows with a low e coating if you have d/p allready

MeTint

When does the detack (DPS) get rinsed off when everyone's slapping it up drop roll style?

Is that really what the Florida Manufacture of that film had in mind when they formulated it?

[*]327157

Like I qualified in the post that began adhesive comparisons, it's only from what I know and have experienced.

In asking on the subject this morning, the detack agent is about 1/4 th the thickness of the SR (very thin) and will usually squeegee away if one were installing reverse roll DPS film.

My experience is that of which I was told by the rep of such film adhesive, it's not to be done that way, rather the adhesive has to be saturated before placing it on the glass, was his words. Most of my experience with this type product came from the time I, for six months, installed that type film adhesive around 1990 on cars as an in-house installer for a car dealer.

And since CPF has never used and still chooses not to use that type of adhesive, there isn't much can be said outside of my own experience gained through installation and travels. I can only assume it is inherently flawed by reason of CP not wanting to use it with their film production. Ask a lab rat at CP and they'll respond on DPS with, "It's crap".

But then if you ask a lab rat at the place using DPS about CDF/CDA, they'll say it's crap too.

If you haven't noticed, I am tap dancing around using film names because the only difference between DPS and PS is the detacktifier... and PS can't hold a candle to CDF/CDA for long term clarity and adhesion to glass.

In fact, the building I mentioned in Cocoa Beach isn't showing signs of adhesive failure what-so-ever, but it sure is showing signs of the polyester and SR beginning to disintegrate from the sun's (UV) exposure.

There has been no communique from Bekaert OZ to say that ST60A has to be edge sealed even near the coast. This is despite asking them directly about this issue.

I have fitted rolls of the stuff over time and never had an issue with the product. Maybe it's better than the alternatives? :spit

Devil

[*]326976

I stand corrected... even the Vista VS61, which is a Sterling 60 look & perform-a-like does not need edge sealing. Question as to seal or not to seal, has been bounced around here so much no one knew for sure when the confirmation came down as to sealing is not necessary. Up to that point it was recommended.

Archived