New guy needs a few pointers

Guest MidcoastMW

Guest MidcoastMW

Hey everybody.......... my friend showed me this site a week ago, and goddamn am I glad. GREAT site. TintDude you da man bro. Lotta guys on this forum seem pretty cool too.

Any way, I just started tinting my second car tonight. (95 Tauruas) First car was a 93 SPAM wagon. I used GILA and followed their instuctions. It was pretty ugly.

Anyway, tonight, all I got done were the rear doors and the rear quater glass. I bought GILA again, cause its cheap and Im just practicing. (this car is destined for scrap heap soon)

The only thing I seem to have a problem with is getting clean cuts for the roll down windows. Basically all I was doing was spraying down the outside of the glass with straight water(rolled up) and laying the sheet on there. bout .5" below lower gasket line....anchor into place. Then running the razor around the frame of the window. Problem is.......the film dosent wanna lay flat cause half is on the glass, other half is on the car itself. ...causing an un-even, nasty lookin cut.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated

-alex :dunno

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hey everybody.......... my friend showed me this site a week ago, and goddamn am I glad.  GREAT site.  TintDude you da man bro.  Lotta guys on this forum seem pretty cool too.

Any way, I just started tinting my second car tonight. (95 Tauruas)  First car was a 93 SPAM wagon.  I used GILA and followed their instuctions. It was pretty ugly.

Anyway, tonight, all I got done were the rear doors and the rear quater glass.  I bought GILA again, cause its cheap and Im just practicing. (this car is destined for scrap heap soon) 

The only thing I seem to have a problem with is getting clean cuts for the roll down windows.  Basically all I was doing was spraying down the outside of the glass with straight water(rolled up) and laying the sheet on there.  bout .5" below lower gasket line....anchor into place.  Then running the razor around the frame of the window.  Problem is.......the film dosent wanna lay flat cause half is on the glass, other half is on the car itself. ...causing an un-even, nasty lookin cut.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Much appreciated

-alex  :lol6

[*]327799

Maybe cause they were written by a pro... :lol2:lol6

Guest tint rookie

anchor your film, draw (silver sharpie or china marker) your side and bottom lines. roll down 6" or so to expose top edge. slice along top. lift film cut a bit wider than the lines you drew for the sides and bottom.

shrink

stick

your a window tinter. :lol6

Actually, that "cheap" tint is probably costing you more per foot than what we are paying for professional grade film.

If you want a deal, look on ebay. Most of it is still crap, but it's cheap. You could use it to work on rollups and such to develope your knife skills, but I wouldn't use it for back windows as most of it shrinks like crap and will further frustruate you.

Maybe, after you roll-down the window to do the top cut, you should do a 'pre-cut' to remove the large section of film that is unneeded and laying on the top of the door frame. Just cut it within one inch of your final cut and get rid of the stuff you don't need... then do your final cut. I usually do this, and find that I get a nicer, cleaner cut when I do.

Guest tint rookie
Maybe, after you roll-down the window to do the top cut, you should do a 'pre-cut' to remove the large section of film that is unneeded and laying on the top of the door frame.  Just cut it within one inch of your final cut and get rid of the stuff you don't need... then do your final cut.  I usually do this, and find that I get a nicer, cleaner cut when I do.

[*]327887

very true.....me too.

Guest MidcoastMW

indeed.....thanks for the replies guy's. Yea, I got the GILA auto Zone....its a rip off. Anyway, I will practice my roll downs some more.

I just started to try the back window. On the 95 Tauras its pretty curved. I was going to try it in 2 strips.....wet shrink them, then but-splice once cut and squeeged into place.

I had a HARD time working out the fingerz. Maybe its because Im using @#$% film????? Anyway, I have a few questions.

When laying down the first strip, I anchored it in the middle, and began working the fingerz to go up and down. This wasnt too bad, but they kept bubbling up my anchor, and turning into not just fingerz...but trees with branches!! It turned into a mess. Im going to go out and try another sheet. Heres some-more q'z

1: Do the fingerz have to meet the edge of the tint?? or can they float in the middle.

2. How can I help keep the fingerz from ruining my anchor point??

(im spraying the exterior of the glass with plain water, and plain water on top of the film)

Thanks guys, Ill be back in a few to see if I have any answers and tips I can try tonight

-Alex :inot

I thought someone else would be all over this first

.....but you need a little baby shampoo in that water

on plain water those fingers wont move

when they cant move, they will crease like a mug

:inot

Guest MidcoastMW

I would try one peice, but the GILA is only 24"

Lol, "trees with branches"....you kno what Im talkin about tho right,??

The fingerz were anywhere from 1" long, too abt 6" long. I snapped a couple pix, hopefully html is enabled so I can link them. I got the strip to lay almost flat, but when I took it off, you could see all the shrunk spots. Maybe I used too much heat???? Or maybe its just the cheap azz tint.

Let me link the pix....

Archived