New guy needs a few pointers

Guest MidcoastMW

go for one piece..... how big are your fingers (TINT wanted me to ask)

[*]328024

I think that gilamonster is only 24" wide :inot

but hell yeah....1 piece woo-hoo :inot

I couldn't even tell you how to piece one properly

If I cant get 'em in one piece, I dont do 'em at all

not 'cause I'm better.... I just suck at piecing 'em

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest MidcoastMW
I thought someone else would be all over this first

.....but you need a little baby shampoo in that water

on plain water those fingers wont move

when they cant move, they will crease like a mug

:inot

[*]328032

Aint dat a @#$%!! lol.....I coulda sworn I read I only need reg. water on the outside. well anyway, that explains my creasing like a mug. (see pix) but what about the wrinkling??

post-15855-1129771291.jpg

post-15855-1129771334.jpg

Guest MidcoastMW

yea, I just tried it with tha shampo. worked much better. I got one strip on the back window in, and it actually turned out pretty good! Was surprised! Still had a couple creases....and in a couple spots if you look REAL HARD, u can see the shrinking wrinklez. How do I avoid that?>

Thanks for the pointers guy's

Guest tint rookie
yea, I just tried it with tha shampo.    worked much better.  I got one strip on the back window in, and it actually turned out pretty good!  Was surprised! Still had a couple creases....and in a couple spots if you look REAL HARD, u can see the shrinking wrinklez.  How do I avoid that?>

[*]328096

too much heat in one spot too long

yea, I just tried it with tha shampo.    worked much better.  I got one strip on the back window in, and it actually turned out pretty good!  Was surprised! Still had a couple creases....and in a couple spots if you look REAL HARD, u can see the shrinking wrinklez.  How do I avoid that?>

[*]328096

Squeegying too fast will cause the creases/wrinkles as well.

Always heat fingers virtically, not horizontaly. Thats the way the film is designed. Work those horizontal fingers down or up and then heat shrink them out. Also, try to spead out the fingeers evenly and be careful to not shrink all your fingers in the same area. too much shrinking in one area will max out the shrinking characteristics of the film in that area and also cause you to burn it up/get your wrinkles.

Guest MidcoastMW

^^^lol, ask and u shall recieve.

I finished the rear glass today. 3 peices, butt-seamed. It turned out alot better than I expected...but still not good enough for me to drive it. Then I moved to the front roll down, I took all your advice and used it in my cuts and process.....turned out much better, but still a little rough. my biggest problem was the film sticking to the glass to fast for me to move it in place. I had healthy amount of baby shampoo on the tint, and the glass as well. I had the window rolled down about 2" and attempted to line up the cut for the contour of the glass at the top, then anchor there. I managed to do that, then rolled the window up and squeeged.

Is that the proper way?? My film did touch a bit of the door panel, I couldnt help it.

Oh, as far as the shrink wrinkles.....yes, I was squeeging out the fingers FAST. lol...that mustve been my problem.

Guest MidcoastMW

well, I snapped a pic of the rear glass. Sorry its a camera fone pic, thats all I got.

But it hides all the imperfections.... :thumbdown lol.

it actually turned out better than expected, last night when I left the shop, I had about 2-3 small fingers starting to appear along the bottom edge of the glass. When I came back to the shop today....*poof* gone! Is that normal!!??

backtinttaur.jpg

Archived