03 grand am

Guest jman9895

Guest jman9895

Ok,

I've got an 03 grand am, I have a design tech remote stater and bypass box for the thing. However, why is it that I need the bypass box and what color wires do I hook it up to? I feel slightly embarassed asking this question cause I'm an ASE L-1 tech and have been doign this all my life. But I cant get the damn thing to work! What wires do I measure the resistence off of and how?

Also, I can get the keys copied at any walmart or hardware store and they start the thing fine, how is it that even though there's nothing special about the key it still needs the box?

Also, if anyone has an 03 vintage grand am and knows what wire goes where I'd really appreciate the info!!!

thanks

'

Josh

If you can get keys cut at the hardware store, than you shouldn't need a security bypass.

It looks as though you have a Passlock II system on there. If your car does have a Passlock, it has three fine (24 gauge) wires running down from the ignition tumbler. I don't remember what the colors of these wires are, but I think one is org/blk, second is yellow, and the third is white or blk/wht but is unused for bypass.

Cut the yellow wire and check resistance between the ignition switch side of that yellow wire and the org/blk wire. Check the resistance with the key in the ignition in the 'on' position, and measure it after turning the key to the start position and back to 'on'. If the two values are different, use the second one... but they will most likely be the same.

You can chuck the bypass kit, and do it with a relay and resistors if you want (the relay triggered off the remote-starter box), or you can just select resistors to match and install them between these wires. That will permanently disable the Passlock though.

Guest jman9895

:krazy

You can chuck the bypass kit, and do it with a relay and resistors if you want (the relay triggered off the remote-starter box), or you can just select resistors to match and install them between these wires.  That will permanently disable the Passlock though.

[*]338058

Thanks, the wire colors are yellow, black, and white, also, why is it that I can get the keys copied easily but still need to do a bypass? wierd thing is when I try to start it using just the wires, (hotwiring) the car, the security light flashes till I leave the key on for 10 minutes to reset it., It just doesnt make sense that I need to bypass it if I can get the keys copied.

any thoughts?

It is possible that the hardware stores can replicate that resistance value. I don't know what the 'key reproducers' have access to. I know that is not an option when replicating a transponder type key on a Ford or BMW product, and those are expensive to replace.

Just cut that yellow wire and pin the black wire for your resistance values. The bypass kits that I have dealt with have an adjustable potentiometer to select that resistance value, and a trigger wire off the remote-starter so they are only active while started remotely.

:broken
You can chuck the bypass kit, and do it with a relay and resistors if you want (the relay triggered off the remote-starter box), or you can just select resistors to match and install them between these wires.? That will permanently disable the Passlock though.

[*]338058

Thanks, the wire colors are yellow, black, and white, also, why is it that I can get the keys copied easily but still need to do a bypass? wierd thing is when I try to start it using just the wires, (hotwiring) the car, the security light flashes till I leave the key on for 10 minutes to reset it., It just doesnt make sense that I need to bypass it if I can get the keys copied.

any thoughts?

[*]338216

The reason for the keys all working, GM built the security feature into the ignition cylinder. When it's physically turned it sends the code to the computer. The keys don't have a RF transponder in them. These cars are also picky on the resistance, which can change with temperature so the resistor trick isn't the best idea in the world. The bypass is the best way to go.

Just my .02 (been installing these since '93 )

Ah... I did not know that the resistance was read off of the ignition cylinder. I was wondering where, and how the car took a resistance reading on PLII and above. It was easy to see the resistor on the earlier ones, but I just assumed it was inside the key like a transponder somehow. Thanks for the info.

Archived