'01-'02 Lincoln Town Car

Guest busaj

Newbie here looking for some suggestions from those far more in the know that I.

I'm planning on picking up an '01 or '02 Lincoln Town Car. I'm looking to probably set it up with a remote starter, and some sort of sound system upgrade. I need something that's got some bump to it, but I don't need anything crazy, I am afterall on a budget.

What would be a good setup, and what would be a good price to budget for.

Any help you guys can offer is appreciated! :spit

P.S. - I'm not object to doing a little dirty work, but I don't have the skills to really dig in and do the job right.

Guest ShowStye05

Hey whats going on? My suggestion for a car that big would be to power the interior speakers maybe about 90 watts per speaker... for something to kick if u want something clean and that will hit hard go with 1 MTX 9500 12" in a sledgehammer box. "Dont buy it without that box and never take it out of that box" just my advise... power it with 1 MTX 801D amp and you will be set to go. These items may be a little costly but if u give me a price u are looking to spend I could definetly design something thats cheaper or even more extravagant... this is toned down and mellow for my tast... let me know what u thing and good luck!

Hey ShowStyle, thanks for the response. I'm not looking to spend a whole lot, like I said, just looking for something that's got a bit more hit than stock. The setup that you're talking about sounds just like what I had in mind. The two questions that I have about your reco. Would that setup be powering the stock speakers? and How much would that cost to put together?

As I mentioned in my last post, I'm willing to do some work if it's not too intensive, I just don't have much experience when it comes to audio setup. Any advice or insight you can offer is appreciated! Thanks again!

Guest ShowStye05

This setup includes powering the interior speakers... The sub= 750, the amp= 525, and the interior amp runs about 300, if thats to much keep 2 things in mind... this is VERY high quality and a very punchy sub for a 12, but also keep in mind I can design something else with 2 10" subs that would be cheaper.. let me know what u think... good lucK!

ShowStyle, I appreciate all the info. :bingo

When I get a little closer to putting this thing together, I'll definately keep these ideas in mind! I've actually got a couple of project bikes going right now, so I'll have to see where I stand with budget, but this sounds like the type of setup I'm looking for.

Guest ShowStye05

Your Welcome for the help and idk where you live but I install car stereo's relatively cheap compared to the competition, im in NY so if you are intereseted let me know when you are ready...

Guest SIR TINTSALOT

as for remote starters, prestige is usually reliable and you can usually get a full featured remote start alarm for about 300 installed, if you choose to get the pager with it you probaly looking @ about 375-400 range.

I prefer not to get the pager because after about 2-3 months of putting it in you pocket it tends to look pretty beat up

I agree on the pager issue, plus they eat batteries

the audio however.......

the town car has an amplified jbl/ford system in it

if it has a small square amp plug on the back of the head (grey cable)

all you need is an upgraded head unit and a sub/amp combo

the new head unit when connected to the factory amp is WAY loud

if this aint enough "words in your mruzik" :broken you can add a pair of tweets up front

if you do this ........the adapter for the ford premium sound

does not have a connection to the cable's shield,

so if you have ignition noise, you can connect a ground wire

to the braided shield of the grey amp cable. (trick metra dosen't even know)

as to amp/sub a single 12 or dual 10s on 350-800 watts is enough to feel

but a combination of 8's or 15's would work well depending on your music tastes

I am not into brand bashin' but the MTX line has given me plenty of headaches

I even called mike at the tech dept in MTX, to tell them how to fix the remote circuit

that caused the amps to draw current through the remote lead, if hooked to ignition

(the 800D) predecessor to the 801 that dude ^ reccomended. I have done this shizz over 20 years

that line will never be on my shelf again.

they have a crappy line, you will blow that shiat faster than a $20 in da' hood on friday

there are plenty of options out there

I would take it to a shop with certified installers

and years of experience, or you will get a hacked up job

You're all some good people!! I truly appreciate all the help. I'll definately have to be looking into the Prestige line of remote starters, and see who installs them here in the Central NY / Syracuse area. If there is anyone on here that does this sort of work in my area, let me know, I'd much rather send my business to a board member.

Zolar, if you don't mind me asking, where are you located? If you want, shoot me a PM. The options you listed seem like they'd work pretty well for me, so when I finish up my current projects this will be next on the list.

Thanks again everyone, your suggestions and insight are always appreciated here! :broken

Archived