Always keep the powder handy

Yesterday was a very damp day here. We had a high temp two days ago of 19F, and the high yesterday was in the 50s. The dampness reminded me of the climate in NW Washington (no offense nt!). I had to use my heat gun just to get the sizing (soap) to dry on the back glass of a car I was ready to shrink, before I even layed the film on it.

I did get the stuff to dry with the gun, but the damp weather caused the film to stick on the back glass terribly, totally reducing my ability to do any shrinking at all. I had to constantly pick up the film and heat the glass underneath to get the film to float on the glass. A shrink job that would normally take about eight minutes, took me about 25 minutes!

I was not operating out of my shop, or I would've had the solution... I really needed the powder to spread on the damp, sticky glass, even though I haven't used powder in years, it would've helped majorly in this situation, allowing the film to float on the damp, sticky glass. I will be adding that to my tool bag from now on.

Guest clear image

you didn't say what kind of car it was, but maybe turning on the rear defrost would have helped bring the glass temp up enough to manage the film better with out it binding right away.

Try sizing....much better results in all weather conditions IMO.

[*]343402

..............ummmm :lol2

I had to use my heat gun just to get the sizing (soap) to dry on the back glass of a car

:):bingo:)

Try sizing....much better results in all weather conditions IMO.

[*]343402

Yeah, all I use is sizing. I purchased a whole case of it after I tried it the first time. I will have plenty of that for a couple more years of shrinking I think. It was the sizing that was sticking bad in the damp weather that day... wish I would've had some powder!

I didn't think of using the defrosters... that's a viable option. I am not sure if that would've heated her up enough though. It was a '99 Chrysler LS 4-door I think... I am not sure of the exact model, but it had a good curve to it, but nothing tough for me.

With the extra work in drying the sizing constantly and lifting the film, I had a major problem after install too, with the defrosters throwing fingers like a wet-shrink. I had to wait for the thing to dry over two hours before cleaning up those fingers and allowing the customer to take the car. That sucked.

No offense takin, Shell!!!  Glad you found a solution. Go SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!! :bingo

[*]343515

Oh yeah... go Seahawks! I have been picking them for my football picks every week, and they haven't let me down. I still like Mike Homegrown. He did good for the Packers here, and I am glad he is doing good for the 'Hawks too!

I agree with Ecaxt Oh ..even though I soap shrink all the time now ..I still keep powder around if someone just needs a back window only done..no waiting time where I usually go about something else on a car while the soap is hazing up ..in my climate it can take a bit longer to haze when its cold and damp ..so in the case of 1 back window only ..I jump to the powder :bingo

Archived