Phaeton

Guest Diamond Tints

Guest Diamond Tints

Now tons of posts on this but anyone actually say how to tint it I mean does the side glass need to come out? can the tint slide in between the rubber at the side ? are they a pain to shrink? does the panels need to be removed? does the shelf need to be taken out, if not how is it with the 3rd brake light??

Cheers in advance :lol6

Now tons of posts on this but anyone actually say how to tint it I mean does the side glass need to come out? can the tint slide in between the rubber at the side ? are they a pain to shrink? does the panels need to be removed? does the shelf need to be taken out, if not how is it with the 3rd brake light??

Cheers in advance  :lol6

[*]349213

I wouldn't take a screw out of that thing. :lol6 It'll self destruct. :dunno

They suck through and through, but I basically tint them in as normal a way possible with the stupid things. :lol6 They're going to stop selling them in the states, and reintroduce a smaller, scaled back model supposedly. Can't wait. :lol6

Hey...that headrest fuse is #68, not 89...you read it upside down, ya knucklehead :lol

I will say the mechanic was impressed when I had him over to check something, and I told him to pull fuse #89, and connect a trickle charger to the accessory battery in the trunk on the drivers side. :hmmm

What I'm saying is.....great info dude, really. :bat I've done quite a few of these, but those 2 tips sure made my life alot easier today. :)

Guest PanEuropean
No...but if you take the 2 torx screws off behind the plastic, fake woodgrain thing...

[*]350906

Hey! That ain't 'fake' woodgrain, it is GEN-YOU-WINE real wood veneer! Scratch one and find out how much a replacement costs, and how difficult it is to match up replacements with the original, and you will know I am telling the truth!

On a more serious note - FWIW, the clear finish over that woodgrain is rather brittle, and it might save you a lot of grief and a whole ton of money if you take a moment to cover the woodgrain trim up with masking tape and a bit of bubble-wrap before you start work there. All you have to do is whack it once the wrong way with a sharp tool, and you will chip it. Ask me how I know...

Lastly, there is a really detailed post full of tips about how not to get yourself into trouble when working on Phaetons (or Bentley Continental Flying Spurs, which are the identical twin of a Phaeton) at this URL: Tintdude Forum: Volkswagen PHAETON Tips and Tricks, All the information you need...

If you have any further questions, you are most welcome to visit the VW Vortex Phaeton Forum, where you will find a very enthusiastic and friendly group of Phaeton owners who will do their best to help you. You might also be interested in visiting the VWvortex Forums - Phaeton Forum 'Table of Contents' (FAQ by Category) and having a quick browse through the FAQ's there - you will find lots of useful information, like, how not to destroy the rear window antennas, how not to run the battery down and generate 300 spurious fault codes, how not to screw up the electronics in the car, stuff like that... :eyebrows

You might even wind up liking the car. It really is a work of art, if you would like to see how it is built (the photos here tell the whole story), have a look at this link: A photo tour of the Transparent Factory in Dresden

Michael

Archived