35% tint: Worried over nothing?

Guest emjohn4

Guest emjohn4

Hey all-

I am interesting in tinting my windows. We live in Phoenix, and the south side of our house gets sun all year round. It's already faded our curtians (1.5-2 years), and I don't want the blinds that we just put up to fall to the same fate.

I was looking at 35% tint. THe specs are as follows:

58% Heat reduction

48% Total solar energy absorbed

.48 Shading coefficient

70% glare reduction

17% Visable light reflectance

<2% UV transmission

My concern is thermal shock on the window panes. I have 6 windows that are south facing, two panes per window, and the panes are 19" x 33." I also have a sliding door, 2 panes at 33" x 75."

In Pheonix, the temps can rise above 110 in the summer, and I sure don't want to have to replace/reseal all my windows (even if someone else is picking up the tab).

Am I concerned over nothing? The contractors tell me that I'm worried over nothing, but they have a vested interest in me accepting their bid.

I would go with a lighter tint, however, I'm after heat rejection as well. The next step lighter is 50% tint (pretty much clear), with only 33% heat reduction.

So, I turn to the experts here...any help? Or should I just sit down, shut up, and enjoy the tint?

Thanks all!

Erik Johnson

Bottom line is, all seals will fail after time. That is a given, it could be next week or 20 years from now. Unless you are experiencing seal failure now, this should not be an issue at all.

Thermo shock is created when there are cracks hidden inside the window frame. Films absorb a certain amount of heat, expanding the glass. There is a slight possibility that the crack could grow.

It is also due to excessive shading where half of the window is covered by a shadow. This causes undue stress on the glass and can cause the interior pane to crack. Aso since the sun is so far south this time of year, this is causing a fair amount of shading.

We install well over 100,000 square feet a year and I replaced 12 panes of glass last year

You need to look at their window film warranty. Make sure it is a manufacturer's warranty and it states a thermo and seal failure warranty.

Guest emjohn4
I think he wants a NR film.

Are the windows tempered?

Look for a little stamping on them that says tempered.  If they are, no worries.

[*]351375

I cannot seem to find anything on the window or frame that states that they are tempered. Only a certification sticker (AAMA).

I should have specified earlier, I am after a Non-Refelective film. HOA prohibits reflective additions to the windows of the houses.

Thanks,

Erik

The doors are most likely tempered to meet the building code, and therefore very unlikely to break. The chances of film breakage on windows as small as you have are also pretty minimal.

Thermal shock is actually more likely in a colder climate than you have in Phoenix.

We're in a colder climate than Phoenix and we routinely install 35% (and darker) films to windows larger than yours and rarely have problems.

Notwithstanding all the above, many (if not most) reputable film manufacturers either provide thermal breakage protection automatically or can as added coverage.

If, given your concerns, the contractor hasn't offered to get thermal breakage protection for you then you can find a contractor who is installing a film that does have thermal breakage protection.

Guest darkdan

I'm willing to bet as long as you're not going with bargin basement tinter_01 from a flea market then he knows what he's doing and I'm sure the film meets the film-to-glass chart of whichever brand it is.

Archived