Someone thought me doing free work was bad

So let me fill you in on a story from yesterday. About 6-8 months ago, a nice older gentleman walks in and says he has a crack on his windshield, and sure enough he does. I look up the price, and sure as @#$% he's the lucky owner of a $1000+ dollar piece of glass. Well, he had a lot going on at the time and wasn't ready to replace it, and the crack was quite low, by the wipers, so I said I will stop it for $20, but it's not garunteed to hold. He said alright, I pulled in the car, and started BSing with the old guy. Turns out he was in WW2, Korea, and Vietnam, retired out of the automobile business, helped develop the radial tire, and survived lung cancer and is living off of one lung even though he quit smoking 23 years before. So we shoot the @#$%, I finish the job and I say there you go Sir, that ought to hold you over. He said let's go pay, I said it's on me, just promise me when you are ready to replace, you see me first and I will give you my best deal, if you don't like it, the of course, shop around.

Fast forward to about 3 weeks ago, I get a call, asks me if I got the 3 other windshields he sent me, I said yes Sir, I appreciate the recommendations. He tells me he is ready to get his done, he set up the claim with his insurance and to tell him when he can bring it in and get it done. I told him I had to get the glass special order, get it all arranged and call him wed to tell him we are set. So, he comes in, we have a good old time replacing his windshield, and an hour later the shop is $1000+ dollars richer and this guy will never take anything anywhere else for the remainder of his life, I will garuntee it.

Guest willie

good business decision -Ive done it in the past with service writers at the dealerships when one of there hands screw things up

one question though how did you make a grand -did the windsheild not cost anything and the labor was free

did you have the kid yet

good business decision -Ive done it in the past with service writers at the dealerships when one of there hands screw things up

one question though how did you make a grand -did the windsheild not cost anything and the labor was free

did you have the kid yet

[*]358129

Well, on the sales #'s it's a thousand, on the profit side it's about three hundred or so after labor and materials.

Archived