sealing edges of skylight

Guest Mayor of Tint Town

Guest Mayor of Tint Town

OK I'm stumped. We did a large angled skylight (80 feet by 20 feet tall in multiple panels) in a exterior Kynar film and now the "shiat" is rolling back. Thought we did everything right including sealing the edges with a factory sealer we use on our spectra selective products. Any recommendations for a sealer outside of just cementing the whole thing over. It doesn't even have to be that clean as you cant see the edges from inside. :dunno

Da Mayor

Exterior films need to be sealed with a silicone instead of a sealer. The sealer is too thin in my opinion and breaks down during wet weather.

Give it a 1/4 inch bead of silicone if you can cover the curl.

Guest VOLTRON

yea we just did a building in the kynar by madico, you know there is 2 liners right? And the adhesive is only on one side so it may be peeling off cause it was installed backwards. (im sure you already know this but I have heard stories of having to redo cause of that). And yes we sealed the film with corning 795 silicone. Dont pull the protective liner off the kynar side untill you are done installing because if you take it off it will scratch the bajesus out of the kynar coating.

Guest VOLTRON

and we used the sausage rolls of the dow corning 795 in the big guns. I have seen them in regular tubes so I think you can get both. THose big sausage guns are like 50 bucks.

OK I'm stumped.  We did a large angled  skylight (80 feet by 20 feet tall in multiple panels) in a exterior Kynar film and now the "shiat" is rolling back.  Thought we did everything right including sealing the edges with a factory sealer we use on our spectra selective products.  Any recommendations for a sealer outside of just cementing the whole thing over.  It doesn't even have to be that clean as you cant see the edges from inside. :beer

Da Mayor

[*]359449

funny we were unsuccessful of completing a job like this not too long ago :beer I hope its not the same one.

exterior film is always real shiatty, starting from the warranty, sealing I think would be best.....nothing else I could possibly comment on this subject. :thumb

Guest Mayor of Tint Town

Brethren,

Thanks for the input. The total edge area of this sucker is about 600 lin feet as each of the panes in this sucker is 22" wide and 20 feet tall. That's alot of sealing. Is the 795 edge sealant as bad to put on as the 995? Also where do you guys get it? Can I get it at "home dummy". We had to build custom scaffolding to just get this dude done and of course we've tossed that already. I new I should have passed but when someone dangles the 5 digit dollar amount at ya... no will power.

Mayor

Guest vclimber
Brethren,

Thanks for the input.  The total edge area of this sucker is about 600 lin feet as each of the panes in this sucker is 22" wide and 20 feet tall.  That's alot of sealing.  Is the 795 edge sealant as bad to put on as the 995?  Also where do you guys get it?  Can I get it at "home dummy".  We had to build custom scaffolding to just get this dude done and of course we've tossed that already.  I new I should have passed but when someone dangles the 5 digit dollar amount at ya... no will power.

Mayor

[*]359845

It does give you something to think about next time you go to bid on this type of job.

Try a contractor's supply house, the big box stores never have that kind of stuff in bulk.

Guest sunbuster
OK I'm stumped.? We did a large angled? skylight (80 feet by 20 feet tall in multiple panels) in a exterior Kynar film and now the "shiat" is rolling back.? Thought we did everything right including sealing the edges with a factory sealer we use on our spectra selective products.? Any recommendations for a sealer outside of just cementing the whole thing over.? It doesn't even have to be that clean as you cant see the edges from inside. :lol

Da Mayor

[*]359449

funny we were unsuccessful of completing a job like this not too long ago :poop I hope its not the same one.

exterior film is always real shiatty, starting from the warranty, sealing I think would be best.....nothing else I could possibly comment on this subject. :lol

[*]359759

I don't do alot of exterior, but to the best of my knowledge, the best warranty I had heard of was 5 Yrs. Last Week I installed Some Llumar RK20 and it carries a 10 yr. warranty (when sealed with th DC 795).

Sorry, 10 YR. on a vertical glazing / 5Yr. on a Slanted Surface

Archived