Difference between car tint and flat window tint

Guest Crash

Guest Crash

Someone tell me what is the difference in auto window tint and house window tint. What would happen if auto window tint is used on house windows and vice versa? Please refrain from too much laughter and harassment please. :spit

Guest vclimber

Some of the differences are:

-adheasive (on some brands)

-thickness of material

-width of material (up to 72" for architectural films)

-auto films are designed to be heat shrunk (or at least some are :spit)

-some archtectural films can be very reflective, more so than what you can legally install on a car. These films can reject a large amount of solar energy

Due to the use of "dry" adheasives, many flat glass films cannot be installed on the curved glass of a car. On the same token, many auto films absorb to much solar energy and can crack dual pane flat glass, so thus they are not recommended for use on homes and businesses.

Guest Crash

Thanks for the information. I just got the specifics so here is what the question should be. My friend found a used roll of auto window tint in a repo so he wants to know if he can tint one of his house window with it. It is a single pane window and not a double pane window. He lives in the desert where it gets over 100 degrees in the summer. He thinks it's metallic film.

Guest vclimber
Thanks for the information. I just got the specifics so here is what the question should be. My friend found a used roll of auto window tint in a repo so he wants to know if he can tint one of his house window with it. It is a single pane window and not a double pane window. He lives in the desert where it gets over 100 degrees in the summer. He thinks it's metallic film.

If you are going to take a chance, then single pane will be a lot less likely to crack than double pane. It is really hard to say though because we do not know what film you have. They all absorb differing percentages of heat. :finger:

Guest sunbuster

If you are going to take a chance, then single pane will be a lot less likely to crack than double pane. It is really hard to say though because we do not know what film you have. They all absorb differing percentages of heat. :bingo

The glass is probably single pane, but it may be laminated. if that is the case. you need to be extra careful. I had come across dual pane laminated in a residence. Doh!

Archived