3M vs. Armorcoat vs. Perma-Gard

Guest computinggrandma

Guest computinggrandma

I live in a condo in Southern Florida inland 15 miles from the beach. We are trying to protect out windows from hurricanes. I met with one salesperson who sells 4 mm 3M and one that sells Armorcoat 10 mm and then there is a third that I read about that is 12 mm Perma-Gard. I am TOTALLY CONFUSED. Does anyone really know which would protect us more in a hurricane? I want to get as much protection as possible. Thank you for your knowledge and honesty.

Guest darkdan

All will hold the glass together rather well.

However, impacts....that depends on what impacts it.

Doubtful anything will prevent breakage.

All will claim that they have the best product.

Guest vclimber

Watch out for the 4mil is stronger than 8 or 10mil scam. They can all blow out in a daylight application. Dan's right the film will hold the glass together but the real question is what will hold the glass in the window frame? That is were an attachment system is critical. But then again, glass attachment systems are only as strong as the window frame that they are attached too. So it depends on your windows too.

No film will prevent glass from breaking. A combination of European Storm Shutters and Window Film will provide more protection than nothing at all.

Guest VOLTRON

something that will also make a difference if you have an attachment system is how thick and strong the film is. If you have a 4 mil and an 8 mil, something will pass through the 4 mil (generally speaking) easier then the 8 mil and so on. An attachment system gives alot better safty then just a film installation. Like it has been said, the film will keep the glass together rather then having flying glass pieces, but if there is only a daylight application and no attachment system then you could possible have one large peice of flying glass. Also, when something impacts the glass a thicker film (generally speaking) will help keep it from passing through the glass better then a thinner film.

Guest computinggrandma
All will hold the glass together rather well.

However, impacts....that depends on what impacts it.

Doubtful anything will prevent breakage.

All will claim that they have the best product.

What kind of attachment system should be used on a regular window and what kind on sliding glass doors that lead to the patio? Thanks so much.

Guest VOLTRON

well there is structural silicone that is used quiet often but isnt very astecticly pleasing but does have good strength. There is also a system called pentagon or gullwing which look very similar to eachother, and although I have not used either of them I hear they both a good systems.

Guest darkdan

Vinyl or wood windows?

Also, considering we're not the ones doing it, talking about attachment systems is something you'd have to discuss with the tinter. If we mention so and so and they don't do that.....what's the point of mentioning it?

Archived