3M vs. Armorcoat vs. Perma-Gard

Guest computinggrandma

Guest Key West
well there is structural silicone that is used quiet often but isnt very astecticly pleasing but does have good strength. There is also a system called pentagon or gullwing which look very similar to eachother, and although I have not used either of them I hear they both a good systems.

I have yet to see a residential window other than a sliding glass door that would lend itself to an effective attachment system. There has to be a surface on both the glass and the frame to be effective.

Commercial frames are great, MOST sliders are good. But trying to adhere a film glass composite to less than 1/16" of aluminum frame is pissin' in the wind in my book. Standard annealed glass and 8 mil WILL hold for most Storm applications. As Metint said, It's the cycling that gets ya!! :thumb

Guest Key West
I live in a condo in Southern Florida inland 15 miles from the beach. We are trying to protect out windows from hurricanes. I met with one salesperson who sells 4 mm 3M and one that sells Armorcoat 10 mm and then there is a third that I read about that is 12 mm Perma-Gard. I am TOTALLY CONFUSED. Does anyone really know which would protect us more in a hurricane? I want to get as much protection as possible. Thank you for your knowledge and honesty.

8 mil with a dow corning attachment system is the only recognized alternative to laminated glass. and even that does not pass the Miami-Dade protocol. IMHO, anything over 8 mil is overkill, but then, noone ever got hurt by too much protection. As a native floridian, and an Andrew survivor, I personally would not trust ANYONES 4 mil in a large storm. I know its confusing and seems like alot of gobbletygook, but check the wind loads for your area on the fla code website. There is a chart that spreads out the expected wind velocity. Different products pass in different areas. :lol2:thumb:thumb:lol2

Archived