Measuring the VLT of a roll of tint with meter

Guest darkdan

Guest darkdan

I just got my meter and went to meter the new tint on my car. Should have been a 55% film....so it metered 40% on my window!

WTF?

The last film was supposed to be 51% and metered 42%.

Anyways, I'm trying to use the meter to measure just the film off the glass and it won't read it. I've heard of others doing it....what's the secret?

I've also immediately lost faith in these things because once when I put film in there it metered 102% VLT. Call NASA, this thing is making energy!

Guest BLACKOUT SoKal

my VLT meter is wierd, you have to slide the film inbetween where a light is flashing and it measure infrared and visible light...doesnt work like holding it up to a window which sucks. good luck with yours...wow 102%

Guest 1PEECBARETTA

I told you from the beginning that those meters aint worth a s**t. I've used 5 different ones and they all read something different. Do a search and find the post where I was stating that.

Guest darkdan

Well they included two pieces of plastic with the VLT written on them, it measures those correctly.

It measures my window just fine, but it doesn't want to measure just a piece of film by itself.

Guest 1PEECBARETTA
Well they included two pieces of plastic with the VLT written on them, it measures those correctly.

It measures my window just fine, but it doesn't want to measure just a piece of film by itself.

find you a piece of plexi and put the film on it to chech it. Maybe if the film is reflective enough, it will affect the reading. :wall

Guest darkdan

I happen to have some clear glass laying around. It meters at 94%.

With the film on the clear I'm getting 48%. So it puts it roughly correct. I'd rather have a metering of just the film.

I've been trying to either trip the switch with the glass and find where to put the film, but it's not working.

The problem with measuring just the film is that it is too thin to fill the slot in the meter, so It may be letting ambient light thru.

BTW, most film spec sheets say that they are measured through film mounted to 1/4'' clear glass, so that's the only accurate way to test the VLT!!!!!!!!!

Archived