Still Confused

Guest klsmith

I read the computing grandma's question regarding the best film to use for Hurricane protection and I am still confused. Assuming the installer is going to anchor the film around all sliding glass doors and windows which film provides the best protection? 3M, Armorcoat, Luminar, or another brand? I know the 3M we were quoted was 4mils and the Armorcoat was 8mils, can anyone say which is best for Hurricane protection? Is there some consumer report type tests or data to confirm which is the better product?

Thanks for any insight.

The 3M thing is a touchy subject.

Non-3M users bash it.

3M dealers praise it.

Either way, the 3M Ultra series 4 mil and 6 mil pass tests that other thicker films passed.

Plys add more strength than mils.

Edit: I spel guud

Guest vclimber

Ask each window film dealer you are getting bids from to give you a copy of their MFG's INDEPENDENT test results for their films. The results should specify that it was done by an independently run testing firm, NOT THE MFG, and you will get an unbias result to compare each product to the other so that you can make an informed decision. :lol

Guest Tintin' Magician

In my honest opinion, I've worked with every major film out there in the last 10 years and I don't believe there is any SUBSTANTIAL difference as far as they go. 4 mil is 4mil and 8mil is 8mil. I have done nothing but security film since '99 and in my opinion the Llumar film always seemed to go on the easiest. To me, it looks better than most and is more installer friendly.

I agree with climber, get independent results not manufacturer results.

Currently, the way to pass the test results, it only need to retain glass once. In other words, they do five blasts and four fail, it is classifed as a passed result.

Personally, I would prefer to have a film installed that passed more than once.

Guest vclimber

The last letter I saw concerning 3M's 4 mil passing tests was a letter dated 1998 on 3M letterhead with no independent testing results.

Has this changed since 1998 or is this thier latest result? :poke

Archived