LOW E surface 3

Estimating a New Office Low E on #3 . Mini-blinds over Annealed Glazing. Hotter than hell. The Low E sure is doing its job, its trapping heat between the blinds and the glass. Customer wants a pull down tint shade, I say

Silver 20...

What say U :DD

Guest windoworx
From what I've heard and read, 50 or 60% is as low as you want to go with low-E glass.....

As far as a shade?????? :DD

I have used Bronze 35 with much success on Anderson Low-E windows

But now my favorites are DR-35 and DR-15. That is pretty much all I use now execpt for R-20 on skylights.

Estimating a New Office Low E on #3 . Mini-blinds over Annealed Glazing. Hotter than hell. The Low E sure is doing its job, its trapping heat between the blinds and the glass. Customer wants a pull down tint shade, I say

Silver 20...

What say U :trustme

The Low E coating is applied to the #3 surface to send the heat back into the room, "Not to reject heat from entering the room". The Low E coating is probably doing it's job (in the winter, just not the summer).

Use caution, by applying film on the #4 surface, you may negate the Low E properties of this glazing system (won't work in winter then).

Apply a film that is safe to use on "Tinted Dual Pane", and you should be okay as far as glass breakage or seal failure. Silver 20 would do great for rejecting heat int he summer, and should be okay for this application, IMO.

Andy

SILVER 20 on Every thing then :trustme

On a side note ,,

why couldnt a Dual reflective 15 or 10 be used ?

(silver outside with a less reflective inside)

Sure, Dual Reflective films are great as they have the Silver (usually) on the outside, reject a lot of heat (no threat of glass breakage), and less reflection when veiwed from inside. I just thought you had wanted to use the Silver 20 (maybe in stock?).

Becareful, again, as the film should be safe for "Tinted Dual Pane" use, sometimes the darker VLT's are a risk on that type of glazing.

Andy

Guest darkdan

If you're a Llumar user just remember typically Low-E adds 1 to the F2G chart.

Try to keep your absorption a little bit lower too.

Here in the midwest everyone has low-e windows.

Guest vclimber
The Low E coating is applied to the #3 surface to send the heat back into the room, "Not to reject heat from entering the room". The Low E coating is probably doing it's job (in the winter, just not the summer).

Use caution, by applying film on the #4 surface, you may negate the Low E properties of this glazing system (won't work in winter then).

Apply a film that is safe to use on "Tinted Dual Pane", and you should be okay as far as glass breakage or seal failure. Silver 20 would do great for rejecting heat int he summer, and should be okay for this application, IMO.

Andy

You are backwards on your surface #'s

Number 1 surface - faces the exterior.

Number 2 surface - inside of the first lite.

Number 3 surface - faces the number 2 surface.

Number 4 surface - faces the interior.

Low E coatings are applied to surface #2 on IG units to reflect FIR (far infrared) back into the room. Low E squared glass has an additional coating on surface #2 & 3 to reject incoming solar energy. Window film will not negate the low E properties when applied to surface #4 unless the low E coating has been applied to that same surface which is rather uncommon for IG units.

Guest vclimber
Customer wants a pull down tint shade, I say

Silver 20...

What say U :beer

There are some real nice pull down roll shades that use window films. The films used are multi-ply and can have TSER's up over 90%. Check out Halcyon Shades.

Archived