I want some who is excited about passionate about this profession to h

Guest lonestartint

Guest lonestartint

Im wanting some help from installers who are on here to help.. Been viewing this forum for years and im tired of people flaming noob type questions. If your going to flame F##K OFF and save my time from reading through garage replys.

So heres my questions regarding preping glass on residential/commercial jobs. Im having some difficulty with trash as we all do but im about to get into the highend installations where 10-14 dollars a sq/ft are common and Im wanting to have a much higher quality installations. Im wanting some pointers or some of you guys steps to preping the glass.

Heres how I do it

1. a.Wet glass and scrape with a triumph scraper unless glass is scratching then I will use a scrubbie pad.

b. Trim any sealant or gunk out of gasket/frame

2. I then come back and scrub the edge of the frames with the scrubbie pad.

3. Rinse with x-100 or film-on depending on film then squeegie glass. Not spraying into the gasket/frame to flush anything out..Im scared :dunno

a. First stroke at top from left/right in a horizontal swipe with a squeegie blade( a black 6" or 12" in a unger handle.

b. Then ill go in vertical sweeps top to bottom. (Wondering if I should go in s-pattern sweeps like a space shuttle landing

c. Paper towel top and sides of gasket/frame

4. Then take a small yellow or black squeegie and hit all edges of gasket/frame bringing anything into to the frame.

5. reverse roll film spray top 2 inches of film. Wet the glass with solution not hitting the top 2 inches of glass and lay film up

6. Once film is on the glass ill take a stroke at the top edge left to right not bringing water to the edges. Then 4-5 big stroke horizontally

7. Trim top edge and sides of film with 5-way or teflon card. trim bottom edge after

8. Then I will spray a mist on film and take my blue 6" blue max in an unger handle and squeegie everything to the edges on sides

9. Then wrap a paper towel and bump all edges to absorb anything left at the gasdket/frame

While im doing all this I notice water pooling up at the bottom edge of gasket and im sure this is sucking trash out and thats where my trash is coming from all along the bottom edge

6. S

My trash seems to be coming at bottom of film along the bottom edge at gasket.

Any suggestion..cough vclimber voltron

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest vclimber

You have fingering issues on the bottom of the window? A few causes might be:

-Working in direct sun. Try to avoid it.

-After your first squeege pass and when you get down to the bottom of the glass, throw some towels down and soak up the excess water. You may even need to bump it with a card and towel.

-Make sure your bottom cut edge is not binding up against the gasket. That will create a vacuum and pull in contaminates.

There are some other little tricks but try those first. :lol2

*** You better not be DIY'ing Gila, or I just shot a whole in the FG market. :bat:lol6:lol2

Guest lonestartint
You have fingering issues on the bottom of the window? A few causes might be:

-Working in direct sun. Try to avoid it.

-After your first squeege pass and when you get down to the bottom of the glass, throw some towels down and soak up the excess water. You may even need to bump it with a card and towel.

-Make sure your bottom cut edge is not binding up against the gasket. That will create a vacuum and pull in contaminates.

There are some other little tricks but try those first. :lol2

*** You better not be DIY'ing Gila, or I just shot a whole in the FG market. :bat:lol6:bat

After your first squeege pass and when you get down to the bottom of the glass, throw some towels down and soak up the excess water. You may even need to bump it with a card and towel.

?? :lol2 How am I going to soak up water with paper towels with water under the film..Im confused sir

Guest vclimber
After your first squeege pass and when you get down to the bottom of the glass, throw some towels down and soak up the excess water. You may even need to bump it with a card and towel.

?? :lol6 How am I going to soak up water with paper towels with water under the film..Im confused sir

Push the water out from under the film, then start soaking it up. If it fingers, bump with a towel and hard card.

Guest lonestartint

What about me squeeging top edge then doing the bottom. So id be locking up the edge on the bottom and no water could be coming from the center and top.. Or would I be kinda stretching the film with the top and bottom down and working the middle?

Guest vclimber
What about me squeeging top edge then doing the bottom. So id be locking up the edge on the bottom and no water could be coming from the center and top.. Or would I be kinda stretching the film with the top and bottom down and working the middle?

The 1st squeege pass should have stretched the film. Start at the top and work your way down. The edge on the bottom won't lock unless you are in the sun or you are using some really tacky PS adheasive.

Archived