Factory Tinted Windows

Guest VaTinterPMan

Have you done back glass with that before. and was it or could be done it 1 2 or 3 or 4. depending on shrink. I am really interested in it for my own car for protection of vailuables.

Have you done back glass with that before. and was it or could be done it 1 2 or 3 or 4. depending on shrink. I am really interested in it for my own car for protection of vailuables.

I would think if you spliced it it would defeat the purpose of security film! The splices would be the weak spots! :evilgrin

Guest haroldshouseoftint
I would think if you spliced it it would defeat the purpose of security film! The splices would be the weak spots! :evilgrin

:poop

I don't know about 12 mil, I have done 8 mil on a back glass b-4 94 acura integra not too bad just take your time while shrinking it :beer

Guest darkdan

I've got some 6 mil 70% coming this week.

I'm going at it with ONE shot on the back window. After that, it's getting 6 mil on the sides and regular film on the back.

Guest filmdit

Factory tinted glass = a heat absorbing component put into molten glass, which also gives it color ranges from light to dark depending on thickness.

Reflective factory glass = a surface coating of metal surface deposited in microthin layers then covered with a clear coat protective layer.

IR glass (e.g. Merecedes light blue or brown/bronze glass) = infrared absorbing component surface deposited in microthin layers.

Installing safety film on auto is easier than you would think, especially 4 mil or 6 film. When doing back glass it would be better to use 4 mil. It shrinks the easiest and you can get it to shape or mold to a Chevy Cavalier 4-dr back glass, as far as heat forming difficulty level goes.

Use multiple layering, where possible and when requested, to increase protective film thickness, e.g. 4+4 (back glass), 4+6, 8+8 (sides), etc.

Side glass should be removed for best protection and if this is not an option, just make sure the film tucks into all framing as much as possible without over shooting any glass edges. Definitely 3/4 to one inch below the door panel weather-strip and to the top edge of roll down glass.

The majority of vehicle break-in or jacking take place from roll down side glass. At this point in time, there is no aesthetically pleasing anchoring system to reinforce safety filmed stationary auto glass. :angel

Factory tinted glass = a heat absorbing component put into molten glass, which also gives it color ranges from light to dark depending on thickness.

Reflective factory glass = a surface coating of metal surface deposited in microthin layers then covered with a clear coat protective layer.

IR glass (e.g. Merecedes light blue or brown/bronze glass) = infrared absorbing component surface deposited in microthin layers.

Installing safety film on auto is easier than you would think, especially 4 mil or 6 film. When doing back glass it would be better to use 4 mil. It shrinks the easiest and you can get it to shape or mold to a Chevy Cavalier 4-dr back glass, as far as heat forming difficulty level goes.

Use multiple layering, where possible and when requested, to increase protective film thickness, e.g. 4+4 (back glass), 4+6, 8+8 (sides), etc.

Side glass should be removed for best protection and if this is not an option, just make sure the film tucks into all framing as much as possible without over shooting any glass edges. Definitely 3/4 to one inch below the door panel weather-strip and to the top edge of roll down glass.

The majority of vehicle break-in or jacking take place from roll down side glass. At this point in time, there is no aesthetically pleasing anchoring system to reinforce safety filmed stationary auto glass. :angel

12 Mil or higher fitted to a window with complete coverage ( window removed) and bonded to the metal bracket with Mastic is incredibly strong. We routinely do demonstrations with baseball bats and claw hammers and its often the sides that give way first. Strongest cars tend to be those with deepest frames, VW/Audi, Volvo this type of lamination does offer execllent protection check this out:

www.tintyourglass.co.uk/supaglass.htm

Archived